Keep bags from floating

How about this? I used my locking tongs to keep the bag submerged. Worked beautifully!

7 Likes

That is a brilliant idea!

1 Like

I found the easiest way to keep bags from floating was to use a simple rack in the cook container. Plus I hated the idea of sticking metal stuff in my bag. The rack keeps the bags vertical.

At the risk of repeating another post, I listed all the stuff I use in the photo at sousvidego.com. I put together the page after the 10th friend/family member asked me to send them the “kit” info :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome idea!!

1 Like

Thanks, KellyAnn. Works better for me than anything else I tried!

1 Like

Most vacuum packing machines do not extract all the air leaving enough to eventually allow floating.

I do a variation of Thames Goodwin’s idea for weighing the bag down. First, I consider the size vacuum bag I need for the food I am going to sous vide. To that length of Food Saver bag, I add at least 6 inches. Next…
Double seal the bottom of bag. Pour in about 4 or 5 ozs of ceramic pie weights. Double heat seal vacuum bag above the weights, creating a separate sealed pouch/compartment at the bottom of the vacuum pouch. (You’ll need to slide the remainder of the bag, - top/open edge back into the Vacuum Sealer, up and over the cutting bar and the unused roll of bag to place the bag material on the sealing/heating bar to create the seal above the pie weights). Place the food item in vacuum bag and double seal again. With this separated, double heat sealed seam, the food stays in the water and does not float, the pie weights do not come in contact with the food, and when I’m finished, remove the food, let the pie weights cool, and store them till the next time. Weights stay clean and dry.

1 Like

I use these

2 Likes

Here’s my current setup. Using 2 Ikea accordian (dish) racks to hold the bags in place.

2 Likes

Nice! Looks like you’ve got the same Cambro bin that I have - and similar placement of the PC.

I was able to FINALLY snag myself a LipAVI L15 (26SD) Sous Vide rack on eBay (looks like it may be delivered today!) :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, we don’t have an ethical dealer for these in Canada - just a gouger on the Canadian Amazon store that charges more than double the price in the US - heh - actually saw the rack for as little as $59 US - unfortunately , most resellers won’t ship to Canada.
Looking forward to using this new rack!! :slight_smile: (my Webber rib rack can finally take a rest) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I’m lovin that setup. Those are the Ikea “VARIERA Pot lid organizer, stainless steel” racks. I was going to say they are about $5-6 each from Ikea, but $13 from the Ikea Canada site (what’s up with that??). Haha.

Anyway, your LIPAVI rack is definitely a step up from those. My next upgrade will probably be a better vacuum sealer- my seal-a-meal has seen better days. Cheers.

1 Like

I put a natural rubber grommet (melting point 180C/356F) around the opening today. Here is a pic.

2 Likes

I tried to find that everywhere! Where did you find it??

1 Like

Found it at CableOrganizer(dot)com

Isoprene (natural rubber), 2-1/2" diameter, 19/100" grommet width.
Make sure you have clean edges- taking off a tiny amount around the 2.5 inch opening in your container is fine and may be necessary if you want the PC to be easily removed from the lid.
The grommet may stretch as you put it around the hole in the lid so carefully start at one side and relieve the tension it if it looks like it is way too big (it’s rubber so it is workable and stretchable).
If you get a really tight fit (and you are okay with that), use a soap or safe detergent (oil can degrade the rubber) as a lubricant to get the PC through the grommet and rinse it after it is installed.
If you get a loose fit (and want a quick easy fix for that) you can get a 2-1/8" diameter O-ring from any auto parts store and roll it up the PC so that the O-ring sits on top and seals any space between the grommet and the Anova PC.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll have to find a source here…but cable supply companies will be the most likely (these guys want $26 to ship a $1.60 grommet to Canada) :slight_smile: Pretty bad! :slight_smile:

Hi! To day I am making my first cooking ‘‘Green Been with salt and butter in a ziplock bag’’ The little devil would not sink I am sure that a knife in the bag would not do it. I grab a 2 pound rock and put it on the bag it been an hours and a half and it has not move an inch if it does I plan on adding a brick…

1 Like

Genius idea!

@Joelande was it ever able to sink?

I went to the local hardware store and bought two feet of the heaviest chain that has zinc coating.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’ll definitely get things to sink!