Moose roast - Need input

Hi all,

I’ve got a 3.5 lbs moose serloin tip roast. Looking to serve it Sunday night, (2 days from now). Looking to have it med rare-med.

Any thoughts on how to prepare it?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Start now Hsarmy.
You will need to cook it in all the time you’ve got.

If it’s farm-raised it will be similar to the same beef roast cut and you can cook it using a beef cooking technique, only longer.

If it’s wild, it will likely be quite gamey and ultra lean. Its flavour will depend on what was growing in its home range. If you are lucky there was a lot of berries and grasses in its diet.

If wild you will want (no, need) to serve a spicy sauce with it. I recommend a stock-based peppery sweet and sour sauce with some citrus and red wine flavours to confuse the palates of your diners.

Make something you will like and make lots of it to serve generously with the thinly sliced meat, - across the grain please.

Enjoy the experience.

1 Like

Hsarmy, I should have added a caution about your degree of doneness choice. Most game gets far overcooked. In my experience the best red game meats are cooked about as rare as you can stand.

You are fortunate to be using your Anova.
Get started now.

1 Like

Thanks chatnoir.

I’ve gone with 137/48.

With a little salt and pepper, then vacuum sealed.

Appreciate the help!

My pleasure.

It’s good to see your temperature isn’t too high.
Are you able to reveal your source, farmed or wild?

And please advise the Community on your outcome.

Do well.

So it turned out awesome. It was wild moose.

I bathed it for 51 hours. Dried it, covered with Dijon mustard, and a salt, pepper, garlic powder mix.

Heated my cast iron pan in the big green egg to 600.

Fired each side approx 90 seconds.

Cut across the grain.

It was beautiful!

Well done Hsermy! Low and slow does it.

What’s going to be your next SV adventure?

1 Like

I’m renting a cottage for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to being able to put the food on in the morning and knowing that it’ll be ready when we’re ready to eat. No more needing to leave the beach early to get dinner ready! :blush:

Awesome food, on my schedule. Can’t beat it!

Very cool to see such an excellent result reported! Truly an instance of taking advantage of one of the strong points of cooking sous vide!

1 Like

What temp?
Did you go 51 hours at 137/48? or lower?

Yes was aiming for 137/48. But but due to some timing hits, I ended up @ 137/51. And I figured when I’m that long in on a cook, the extra couple of hours wouldn’t break things one way or another.

Correct Hsarmy.
For solid game meat you needs lots of time and with SV that time is very foregiving.

When i lived in the Adirondacks wild game was plentiful there, many folks i knew lived on it.
The flavour of most of it was plain awful due to the coniferous forests. However, the trout there were said to be the best east of the Rockies.
Absolutely delicious when barely cooked.

1 Like

I also love my APC and BGE combo!!!
makes for great food

1 Like

It really is a great combo!

The ability to be precise and low and slow on both is awesome.

S & P, 48 hours at 130

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but it seems like a good place to ask. I’ve been cooking moose for a while, but now for the first time I have access to a sous vide. Among the people I know, the general rule of thumb for safe cooking of wild meat is basically to cook it to death (or at least to 160F). We generally see parasites in the moose meat when butchering, so it’s not just about killing bacteria. So far all I’ve found recommends at least 145F or 150F for wild meat, but I understand that a lower temperature could be safe if cooked for long periods of time. I assume that’s why y’all are talking about 48 hours…

How do you know what is safe in terms of temperature and time for wild meat?

Thank you for any input or resources :smiley:

Hi Ameil, your request is economical in detail so this is going to be a somewhat less detailed response than you would expect in a recipe or app.

It has been this cook’s experience that general rules of thumb are often folklore and bunk. Here’s your science based answer. Young game mammals, up to about the age of 4, are most tender when cooked Medium-Rare to Medium, 131F to 140F for 24 - 48 hours. If you prefer tougher meat go to a higher temperature.

However, you didn’t ask what’s best, but what’s safe, so here goes. Cuts of meat up to 3-inches thick can be considered safe after cooking for 6 1/2 hours at the lower end of the above temperature range and after 4 hours at the upper.

The thermal death point of parasites is little below 130F. When cooked they may not be appetizing, but they won’t infect you.

Even after cooking 48 hours there may be a minute trace of pathogens remaining, far too little to do you any harm. That would be one out of 3 to 9 million for Salmonella as an example. Thus you will want to follow all the standard rules of safe food handling for cooked meat to minimize their growth. Like avoid leaving cooked meat at room temperature more than 2 hours.

@chatnoir Thanks a bunch. This is very helpful. I ended up going with 60C (140F) for about 42 hours. Then seared them over an open fire and it turned out great! I’ll be experimenting more.

1 Like

My pleasure Amiel, it’s good to know your moose roast was a success.

By keeping detailed records of your experiments you will be able to recreate them without guessing or relying on rule-of-thumb cooking.

Do well and make your meals delicious.

1 Like

Glad you loved it!!