New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

The Nano is Bluetooth only and can most likely only pair with one device at a time.

Does anyone happen to know if the phone app can pair with 2 Anova WifiBluetooth circulators independently or: manage different temps & times for each, 1 for entree & 1 for side dishes?

No. It can’t. That functionality is in development for release some time in the future.

I have never used a sous vide device before and have no idea how to set it up. There’s no direction booklet enclosed with the device. How do I know where to even start?

I am not sure which model you have, but I’ll drop a few things below that will help get you started.

Anova Precision Quick Guide

Anova Precision Quick Guide (for Nano)

General help for the APC

General help for the Nano

The recipes site

Where to download the app

Hi @pamull

The YouTube channel “Sous Vide Everything” did a little video designed to help people just starting out. And @chatnoir made an excellent post on this forum recently that also answered a number of questions people often have. See below!

Here’s the video by Sous Vide Everything on YouTube:

And here is a link to the post made by @chatnoir on this forum that has additional excellent information::

1 Like

So Happy to be a new Nerd! Just got my new Sous Vide and did some knock out Venison Backstrap. Going to try the Pork Tenderloin tonight.

1 Like

When a recipe says to cook it 1 - 4? My understanding is it would be done in 1 hour . . . but it can be left for 4 hours without overcooking . . . is that correct?

Pretty much.

But recipes also have to make allowance for variability in things. A recipe might say 1 steak, but that steak may be 1 inch thick or it may be 2.5 inches thick. An inch thick steak will take around an hour… a 2.5 inch thick steak will take a bit over 3. It makes a difference. People that publish sous vide recipes really should get into the practice of giving an idea of the thickness of things.

Thanks for the reply . . . We received the Anova for Christmas . . . we tried it on a steak . . . great . . . I have been reading as much as I can find regarding the system. Sometimes things are not self-explanatory. Here’s to great cooking! Thank you!

Some very worthwhile reading.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

1 Like

Regarding “ping pong balls being a pain in the ass to clean”

Can’t you just put them in a mesh bag and put in the top rack of the dish washer? Like washing legos?

They’ve usually only had water on them, anyway.

How do I bring the water up to temperature remotely?

Also, it would be great if I could control the Anova with my Lenovo smart display.

You can do this if you have a Wi-Fi Anova Precision Cooker. Just be sure to have it already plugged in and have the device connected to your app.

Just had an odd thought…
Once you’ve pulled your food out after cooking put in a drop of dishwashing liquid into the already hot water and “swoosh” those pingpong balls around in the soapy hot water. Rinse and your done!

Alyssa,
I have frozen pulled pork in my freezer, can I reheat with the Sous Vide?

My ziplog back failed 36hrs into my chuck roast, is my roast ruined?

It won’t be optimal but it’ll still be edible. The truly sad thing is all those wonderful cooking juices lost.

Dry your meat off. Give it a bit of a pinch to see if it needs more time. Rebag it ans send it for another swim.