New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

Yes, you can cook from frozen. Here are a few threads with info you might find helpful:

1 Like

Thank you for your info and suggestion. I will try to do that

My cooker does not maintain the set temperature, it keeps dropping. Although I set it for 145, after 45 minutes, it’s down to 123.

What gives? What do I need to do to get it to maintain the set temperature?

Thankyou,
Prudence

Contact Customer Support. They are the ones best able to help you.

It might be defective. Definitely reach out to support@anovaculinary.com so we can help you out with this!

I vaccume seal ribs but after about hour in bath 167 they get air in bags and float causing me to take them out and reseal this is the only thing that does this looking for solution.

I have been using my sous vide successfully. However today, I think it got switched to Centigrade. Would only go to 99.5—and over cooked my chicken. Can that be and how do I change it back?

It might be switched. But we can find out. Here’s how to toggle between F and C:

If the temperature is still not working like it should, please email us at support@anovaculinary.com.

How do you keep the water levels up during a long cook cycle

I would cover the water bath. Wrap, foil, or if you have a cooler. We also have a lid that will be up on our online store soon! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply on water level
Can the unit sit flat on the bottom of the cooker

Yep - you don’t need any clearance at the bottom of the APC.

Having a container with a well sealed lid (and a hole cut for the APC) means you can have long cooks with next to no evaporation.

Hole saws - you’re looking at 2 1/2" if you want to line the hole with a softer material, 2 3/8" to fit the exact diameter of the base/skirt of the APC. (if you can find a grommet somewhere that would fit, that would be even better - if you do, please share the info here) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Joellunsford

Actually while a well sealed lid is very nice it’s not an absolute necessity for long cooks. I use bubble insulation over a Coleman cooler and I’ve done 72 hour cooks without needing to add water.

Off topic - it’s nice to see you back posting @fischersd! I hope your travel adventures were interesting! :slight_smile:

Thought I’d add a pic of my setup for clarity…

1 Like

Thanks again for the info.
So the next one is do I need to pre heat water that needs to be added during long cook times?

Hi Joel.

I Have never really had problems with evaporation in my long cooks, Although I generally use a coleman cooler for those big tough honkin pieces of meat. I would think that with long cooks you are using lower temps than, say veggies. My hot water heater puts out 130F at the tap and this is usually not that far from my cook temp to merit turning an alternative heat source on.

Plus…I may have an exceptionally good anova as my water temp heat up time seems to be minimal and I always had a hard time relating to others that say their units took to long to heat.

Good luck to you!

As a side note…I bought a hot tub 12 years ago and joined a website pertaining to that tub. I ended up micromanaging chemicals, temp and water hourly so much that it was hard to enjoy the spa itself. My advice is to jump in and enjoy it! Haha :grinning:

The size of your vessel, the starting temp of the water and how well insulated the vessel is all contribute to your preheating time (elevation may too, if we want to split hairs) :slight_smile: . (and, yep, 130F is pretty common for hot water - handy that it’s the temp a lot of us use for cooking our steaks) :slight_smile:

The advantage of using preheated water is that it will prolong the life of the APC’s heater - all components being engineered for X (usually being hundreds of thousands of) hours of use before failure, if you save the APC some heating effort, it’ll last you longer (mine was still perfect when I sold it 3 years later), I pretty much always filled my vessel with hot water first.

I was curious as to how I could Sous Vide a roast and have the fat render during (or after) the cook?

We tried a blade roast last night at 140F for 24 hours and very little of the fat rendered.

It seemed the easiest way would have been to pan sear thick slices after Sous Vide-ing.

We tried it under the broiler and that crusted the outside of the roast but did very little to render the fat inside.

Thanks for your time and help,
Bobby

Fat won’t render at sous vide temperatures. That’s a job for your finishing method of choice.

just got my Anova today so I am in no way skilled nor have I been able to research thoroughly but it’s pretty clear that there are vastly different temperatures and times recommended for different foods, is there a systematic way to sort out how to cook multiple different dishes concurrently? Short of having multiple units I would like to see if there is an approach that addresses this need.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been covered before …

It’s definitely a learning curve. There are different temperatures + times for a handful of factors: doneness preferences, texture, how lean or tender the meat is, how thick the meat is. You can cook multiple different dishes together, but it just depends on what it is and what you’re hoping to achieve.

I would suggest using our time + temperature guide to get a better idea of what you’re looking for. This community is also super helpful, so feel free to ask any questions you might have.