New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

That doesnt answer my question, then go with what you’ve been recommended

What sort of texture do you want? What done-ness? How do you plan to finish it?

131F will give you medium rare. 36-48hours should give you a slicing, roast meat type texture. You’d get a bit more tenderness to cook it unrolled, just because it won’t spend so much time coming up to temperature equilibrium.

Sous vide cooking is all about heat penetration and time at temperature. Once the meat is up to temperature the task of converting collagen to gelatin begins. This happens much more slowly at 131F than it would at 155F. So the same cooking time will give you a different texture at different temperature.

The reason @Brian1 asked about thickness of your roll was to estimate how long the meat will take to come up to bath temperature at its core (temperature equilibrium). This is one of the important parts of sous vide cooking. You can estimate penetration at around 1 hr per inch of thickness.

Hi there!

New user here - I have 3 burning questions:

Question 1: Is there any way I can stop the machine from beeping when the food is done? I’d like to keep the food warm in the machine until I’m ready to take it out, but I don’t like the beeps.

Question 2: Is there any way I can use the device without using the app, just manually entering the time and temp?

Question 3: What do all the buttons do?

1. Yes you can stop the beeping when the food is done! Just tap the play/start button quickly to stop the notification. It should continue to circulate and maintain the temperature.

2. Yes, you can use the cooker manually to set the time and temperature. Here’s a video and instructions on how to do that:
    https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/204504854-How-do-I-set-time-temperature-and-change-temperature-scale-on-my-cooker-

The play icon - stop/starts the cooker

The scroll wheel - That’s to scroll up/down your target temp or time.

The timer icon - sets your timer

Hello,
I’m wondering if I can install the clamp onto the metal shroud of the sous vide? I have a pot that is a bit too shallow.

Yep, that’s fine!

I am not new to Sous Vide but have a big question. I am cooking two 3.5 pound center cut tenderloins tomorrow and can’t find a good answer for how long to cook and what temp. It is bigger than a steak and smaller than a roast. What I have are 3.5lb pieces that are 10" long and about 4" round all tied up. I have read 2-3 hours at 140 for medium rare and 4+ hours for roast. It’s $150 of meat and need some HELP!!! Thanks in advance!!
Rob

Tenderloin is the most naturally tender muscle. As such it needs nothing more than bringing up to temperature equilibrium. 30 mins per half inch (or part thereof ) of thickness is basically all you need. You can add more time for kitchen flexibility if desired but you don’t need to.

Hi Guys,
I’m kind of new in SV cooking. I would have a beginner’s question: Does anybody have experience with IKEA’s ISTAD plastic bag? Is it okay for SV? If so: until how much cooking temperature is it safe?
I see it’s BPA free, that is good. But I cannot find any information about its SV usage.
Thank you!

Used Anova first time yesterday. Steak in a zip lock freezer bag. Guess I didn’t seal the bag properly as there was water in it when I took it out. My question - Do I have to clean the Anova before I use it again (removing the lower metal cylinder and cleaning)?

I’m going to recommend against it. The product specs indicate not recommended for use above 122°F/50°C

You don’t have to, but routine cleaning for hard water buildup is recommended. You can remove the metal casing every few uses to gauge how much buildup is there.

Thanks Brian1! What other ziploc/freezer bag are you recommend?

Will it blend? :wink:

I use foodsaver vacuum bags. Resealable bags are something I’m not sold on using. You might invest in silicone bags

I have a huge hunk of meat 5.5 #s about 4 " thick labeled for London Broil. What is the best way to cook it sous vide,Time and temp?

Do you know what actual cut it is? My understanding is that London Broil is usually from top round.

Two things that you haven’t told us:
a) What done-ness do you want? This will give you the cook temperature (and to a lesser degree, cook time.)
b) What texture do you want? This will determine cooking time.

1 Like

can you cook frozen meat???

Beef Shoulder for London Broil… that is what it says… So you suggest 129 degrees. But how long for a 4-5 inch thick meat? for rare/ medium rare… not raw

What texture do you want? A nice slice? Or more melty heading toward pullable?

For a meaty slice, I’d start with 130F (for simplicity) and around 24 hrs. You could even go out to 48 hrs. Lift it after 24 hrs and give it a pinch test (squeeze it gently to see how the texture is progressing toward what you want and observe the way the fibres react).

Timing on sous vide cooking is not an exact science. It takes experimentation to work out how to achieve the results you desire. It’s a good idea to keep a journal of your cooking experiments with cut, temp, time, finishing method and a description of the outcome. Also add any improvements you would make for next time.