Newbie: How do I know when my meat has reached proper temperature?

I just got my Nano for Christmas and am anxious to try it out. I know about vacuum sealing and having the water up to temp before inserting the meat. However, how do I tell when the meat is done? I can’t use an instant thermometer. Do I simply use a time estimate (which doesn’t seem too accurate)? Or do I wait until the water temp is equal to the set temp? Or is there some other method?

Thanks

You’ll find a lot of info on this forum. Also on the recipe site. What type and cut of meat is it? If it’s a steak cut it will just need to be brought up to your done-ness temperature. This can take anything from an hour to 4 hours depending on how thick it is cut.

Otherwise, look up a few recipes that use similar cuts to what you are using as a guide.

If you are cooking chicken it is highly recommended to cook it until it is pasteurized. Baldwin’s A practical guide to sous vide has tables for pasteurizing chicken. (http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Poultry_and_Eggs) It is highly recommended reading.

ChefSteps and SeriousEats both have very good information on sous vide processing. And the guide in the Anova app (if it works) are also useful.

You don’t need a thermometer as cook times based on thickness using Baldwin’s science-based tables are dependably accurate. Ember’s other recommended sites are also useful. Beware of social media information as much of it is inaccurate, guesswork, and some luck. Any SV recipe that uses ingredient weight instead of thickness should be considered suspect if not unreliable.
And there are a lot of them even here.

Always wait untill your Anova signals your temperature set point has been attained before adding food to the water bath. Yes, that’s when the water temperature is equal to the set temperature. There’s no other correct method. Cooking time always begins at that point.

I love to cook. Cooking is one of my principal hobbies. Usually, I make dinner or lunch, but my mom makes breakfast. We do it this way for her to have some rest after work. Speaking of cooking, I always need guidance to prepare the meat. I was always confused, so my mom got me an australian bbq thermometer. One of my uncles lives in Australia, so he bought it and sent it to us. Since then, I have been cooking the meat amazingly because the thermometer informs me when the meat reaches the proper temperature to be well cooked. I recommend you to have this tool in your kitchen because it’s useful.

If without a thermometer, then it’s better to look on the Internet for how much a certain meat should be cooked and at what temperature.

If without a thermometer, then it’s better to look on the Internet for how much a certain meat should be cooked and at what temperature. Also, most likely, you can determine whether it is ready or not by the type of meat. But this is not a very reliable option because you can easily overcook it. It’s best to buy an amazon meat thermometer as soon as possible. With it, everything is much simpler and more convenient, plus you will have the opportunity not only to cook medium-rare meat, but you can do different roasts and more accurately monitor the temperature.

Chatnoir answered this perfectly. Without any shills.