Safe to keep going?

I set up a sous vide flat cut beef brisket around 10:15pm, and misremembered the instruction I got from someone and started it at 155F. After an hour+ of cooking at 155F I had an inkling I was wrong and rechecked the message (which I should have just done in the first place) and saw that they had actually said 131F for 72 hours. Where I got 155F, I have no idea. Anyway, I uncovered the pot I was cooking it in and turned the temp down to 131F, or at least I thought I did. While I was waiting for the temperature to come down I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up a little before 4am and realized I didn’t hear the machine. Turns out, when I turned the machine down, I actually paused it and the water temperature had dropped to around 89F. Yes to all the facepalms here. I panicked and turned it back on and it’s been going for about a half an hour now. But it occurred to me that might be problematic. We already know I’m the biggest moron around, now I just need to know if the meat is safe to keep cooking for another like 65 hours… Do I scrap the whole thing? Should I get it back above 150F and then turn it down again? Did I already ruin it having it at 155F first? Did I actually save it having it at 155 to begin with? So many questions.

31.5 celsius ? …oof thats like leaving your meat on the back seat of the car on a hot day.

If you have dogs, cook it well, feed it to them in small amounts, (sturdy guts)

Check other threads here about interrupted cooking, such as these:

The key question for you is whether or not the internal temperature was held at high enough and long enough to kill bacteria. Additionally in your favor is that the meat was vacuum sealed so that no new bacteria entered. I believe the 2nd link has a table which may help you decide if your meat is safe to eat.

I presume you were planning on smoking the brisket afterwards?

That visual actually really helps! lol I ended up tossing it just to be safe, but damn if that wasn’t the saddest thing I’ve done this week. I don’t have dogs, but I’ll keep that in mind for friends of mine.

I don’t have a smoker, so I was just going to basically seer it and add a gravy/sauce (it was all recommended by a friend). I saw that first post and the guy ended up saying he baked it at like 350F for two hours and was fine a couple of days later, but to be on the safe side I just tossed it. I needed it for a dinner on Weds night and one of the people coming is an expectant mom, so I figured it wasn’t worth the risk. I’m pretty sure it didn’t maintain 155F for more than an hour, but it’s been over a year since I used my sous vide, which I only ever used for chicken previously, so this was a whole new thing and totally an idiotic move.

It came out of the deep freeze though. I had defrosted it the day before and then decided to sous vide it. I’m assuming the deep freeze doesn’t kill the bacteria either?

Freezing kills parasites but not bacteria. Better safe than sorry, I’d agree you did the right thing. I sous vide brisket for 24-36 hours at 150 F, then smoke for 3 hours at 300 F (from seriouseats.com). I get a fall apart texture typical of a long smoke. Recently I cooked a corned beef at 140 F for 24 hours and got a moister, firmer texture.

My recommendation for rusty / no sv skills is get your poached egg technique down first after that it all becomes a lot easier to understand temperature effect across a variety of product.

(eg the difference between snotty white eggs & more shaped textured “fixed” whites can be very little, all helped along by pricking the shallow bottom of the egg for easier removal & more thorough cooking (after all the good nutrition is in the whites so it’s beneficial to use as much as possible & then if you can be bothered finish it with a swirl for precise shaping. …on the whole though I only finish it properly for the wife, i’m the cheap date!

Then try the "salad chicken (for texture) because “AMAZING”
Then a frozen / fresh burger

Then back onto bigger stuff
NB the phone app has more for “gradient of cook” (done-ness… appalling Am-eng) than the regular PC / tablet version which has that section missing since the time of christ. :expressionless:

That will ease you back into the expensive cooking joints & all will be familiar once more.

I like to utilise analogies, simple memory teaching. …like you never forget that girl who slapped you across the face, nor the kid who regularly wet themselves in class, …simple, sticks!

A far as the ruined joint went, “I’m sorry for your loss” :wink: …you did the right thing (in the absence of canines)

Welcome, we are here all week.

Cooking the brisket at 155F for an hour may have caused some of the moisture to be lost from the meat, resulting in a dryer texture. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean the meat is ruined. Turning the temperature down to 131F is the correct temperature for sous vide cooking brisket, but leaving it at 89F for an extended period could be problematic from a food safety perspective.

To ensure the safety of the meat, it’s recommended to discard it and start over. While it’s possible that the meat may have remained safe during the period it was held at 89F, it’s better to err on the side of caution.