Searing with a heatgun

Hey! I just want to know if searing all proteins with a heat gun is possible, I want to buy one but I don’t know if it’s the perfect idea.

Thank you

Nothing is perfect. Each device has its own pros and cons. I like a heat gun for crackling pork rind but that’s all. Everyone has their own preferences.

I tried using my electric heat gun on steak once, but I didn’t care for it. It seemed to take much longer to initiate a Maillard reaction than I anticipated at the high temperature setting I used. In hindsight I think the heat may not have been as intense as the setting on the heat gun indicated, so maybe you might have better luck!

I was advised to consider a heat gun, the advantages are that you will get a maillard reaction without the smoke, if doing it indoors.
I have succesfully used it on steak and duck.
I had a disaster with steak, which I bought from a butchers at no expense spared for a couple of 1 in. sirloins, I used a nozel that I thought would focus the heat to a smaller area on the food from the heat gun, however, it increased the distance, so I ended up with an overcooked steak that negated the use of the sous vide cooking method.
I learned from that that you should use a heat gun that will heat up to 650 C and direct it as close as possible to the food.
I think Sous Vide Everything did a test vs the Searzall on Youtube, perhaps somebody could kindly advise or put a link.

1 Like

OK. I gave in and watched that. Those guys annoy the daylights out of me. I’d suggest they’d have done better to remove the condenser nozzle from the heat gun.

I understand your viewpoint @Ember, This video might be sligtly easier to watch, they do still have a nozel, which I have found detremental, but nonetheless the results are interesting.

Yeah, narh. He still gets up my nose. Bad enough on the last video when the idiot was using tweezers to pull the chook from the bag. The ‘ninja’ rot just grates on my nerves like fingernails down a blackboard.

<iframe width="1280" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3yX3I_jT-IM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>