Sous vide mode: how calculate the times ?

With the APO in Sous vide mode is quicker to cook than in traditional Sous vide,
but is there any reference to calculate how long do I need to cook in SV ?
I mean in general depending what´s cooking and in new recipes that are not in the App.

Hello! We can help. For sous vide recipes, there is no change! Take that same time and temp, set the oven to sous vide mode, pick your temp, set it to 100% steam, and cook it for the same time as if you were cooking in water bath!

Ok. Thanks.

You are welcome! Happy cooking

You mention using 100% steam in sous vide mode, but the recipe for sous vide spatchcocked chicken has steam off. What determines steam off or on in sous vide mode

Could you please explain the apparent contradiction, here you state 100% steam for sous vide mode, but the recipe for spatchcocked chicken requires steam off. Should steam be on or off in sous vide mode?

sous vide mode can be used with or without steam! 100% steam mimics sous vide in a bag. The spatchcock chicken uses sous vide mode (which still cooks at a perfectly precise wet bulb temp) but it is not adding steam in an effort to keep the skin dryer for better crisping and browning. This is also explained in the recipe notes as well!

Thank you, so skin crisping ability is the reason to omit steam in this case

Bingo!

I gather with the stream on, sous vide becomes time dependent since the stream is at 212F. Setting the prone to a lower temp, say 135F, does not provide sous vide results. In doing this today my roast went to 148F on the 135F setting.

Hi Jerry, real SV cooking or oven SV will always be time dependant.

Are you able to provide more details that will helps us help you?

It was my understanding in sous vide the the food is brought to the target temperature and held there… Less dependent on time which in this case is largely unpredictable. If I need to be there at time certain, I might as well just cook in the normal fashion. Sous vide offers no advantage

The steam is not 100C. Set the oven at your target temp, 100 RH and it will be very close to traditional sv. If you’re using a higher oven temp and cooking to internal temp (turbo sv) you must remove your food once it’s done.

That is exactly what you will get if you use the APO in sv-mode and at 100% RH if you set the temperature of the oven to your desiret target temperature. But it will be some time requirements, you need time to heat the core of your food, time to reach your wanted tenderness and time to make your food safe to eat. But these times are the same in traditional sv and in the APO. And most food in sv is relatively insensitive to one or two extra hours, exception eggs and fish in my experience.

Your understanding is almost totally correct, Jerry, and Ragnhild is correct. Yes, in traditional SV using a water bath the core temperature of a food item is raised to the target temperature. It can be held at that temperature for as long as you plan to. Competent cooking requires planning.

At typical SV cooking temperatures the time required to achieve equilibrium depends on thickness and is precisely predictable based on temperature and thickness. Additional SV cooking time can be employed to increase tenderness according to the item being cooked, - tender or tough.

Beef tenderloin is judged sufficiently cooked once its target temperature has been achieved. Beef chuck roast will benefit from considerably longer cooking time because it’s a tough cut of meat. The benefit of the SV technique is there is considerable latitude in cooking time due to low temperature and seldom an exact time certain end point with meat and poultry.

Thicker and tougher cuts have greater latitude in cooking times and that provides a substantial advantage over conventional cooking techniques. The precise control of doneness, enhanced tenderness, and the ability to repeatedly replicate outcomes are bonus advantages.

This was a test, an eye of round which is always tough that I had hoped would benefit from sv tenderizing and a reverse sear. Having it run almost 15F over the target temperature was an unwelcome surprise. I am not sure the oven method of sous vide gives me what I want there, since it’s just too unpredictable. I love the oven for its other features, but I think I’ll leave beef out of the mix.

Thanks for that feedback. In this case it was especially sensitive to an hour delay. I understand now and appreciate the help.

The APO can sous vide at any temp with full humidity, not just 212F. If your roast was over the set temp its likely there is a malfunction in your oven, and we can help! Please email support@anovaculinary.com and we’ll assist ASAP.

I did that, but have had no reply

Hey Jerry, for certainty please help us with some added details of the eye of the round test cook.

What do you think caused the temperature over run.

What was the actual oven temperature setting?
What was your planned cook time?

We want you to enjoy the proven advantages of the SV technique, particularly with tough cuts of meant like eye of the round.