Sous Vide Tomatoes for freezing

Hi

I grow plum tomatoes and want to preserve them by freezing.

I’m thinking that this year I will vacuum pack them in portions and then sous vide them.

They don’t have to be fully cooked as they will get cooked again in whatever dish they end up in. I just need to stabilise the enzymes.

Has anyone tried this?

What time and temperatures please?

Thanks

Kevin

Generally the enzymes inactivate at temperatures >80C or 175F but that heat has to penetrate through the entire tomato to be effective (basically cooking them). I wouldn’t personally bother with SV since it’s a lot faster and simpler to just use a boiling water bath on the stove.

I blanch the whole tomatoes in a big pot of boiling water for a minute, drop them in an ice bath, peel, quarter and seed them, pack them into HD freezer bags, and drop the freezer bags back into the boiling water for a couple minutes, then into the ice bath and into the freezer. If I don’t want them peeled, I just quarter and seed them, pack them into freezer bags and drop them in the boiling water for a couple minutes, then the ice bath and into the freezer when cool.

If I’m making diced tomatoes for stews and beef barley soup and want them to retain more texture when cooked, I dice and SV them at 60C or 140F for 1/2 an hour before dropping them into a boiling water bath for a couple minutes before chilling and freezing. That’s a trick from McGee to activate an enzyme that firms up the cell walls before cooking.

Thanks.
Very helpful post.

I’ve frozen whole, peeled tomatoes packed in ziplock bags w/o cooking/boiling at all. They turn out just fine. Just like they were canned - perfectly suited for cooking in sauces, stews, soups, etc - but too soft for eating out of hand. HTH

Should add that once they’re in a quart size bag, I “squash” them slightly so they release their juices and fill the bag, then seal w/ as little air left inside as possible. Freeze flat in a single layer on a large sheet pan. Once frozen solid they stack well in the freezer.

Thanks for coming back.

Yes, they can be done like that and many sources use that method as have I.

There is an argument to reduce enzyme activity before freezing though.

Maybe this year I will do some experiments.

Best to you,

Sounds like a plan,Kevin. Must admit - I’ve never heard of reducing the enzyme activity w/ tomatoes before. Glad to learn something new everyday!

Yup, its a plan, a lot of veg and fruit is blanched for this reason. Tomatoes seem to be an odd ball.

So I could be on a hiding to nothing!
Chuckles

I slow roast my roma tomatoes each season (until somewhat shrivelled but still in shape), then can them in small jars with a little olive oil. They are amazing! As for sous vide, I think this is one of those situations where it is not beneficial.

A slow roasted tomato has to be one of the worlds great delicacies.

I shall do some that way, but freeze them as I have limited dry storage space… It’s full of some twenty odd different grains and flours for bread baking. lol

Thanks for reminding me about roasting.

Yes, Sous Vide idea wasn’t so great.

1 Like