Tell Us What You Think About Our iOS App

my app no longer communicates with my heater so I stopped using it as well but I agree with always using both temperature scales at all times, a thickness calculator to adjust times/temps 

I don’t use the actual recipes but would like to be able to use it more efficiently for reference while cooking from my own recipes

@jordan said:
Salisbury_Sam So much great, detailed feedback - thank you! Have you updated your version since the initial download? Some of your points have been addressed - the filter option allows you to sort by categories which should help. Have you had a chance to use it?

Your recent suggestion is a really great idea - so for example, you would select “frozen” and the time for the cook would increase by ~30 minutes to account for the time it takes the food to thaw + the original recipe cook time. Is that what you had in mind?

Hi, I’m with Salisbury_Sam but another way would be to start the timer only when the temperature has finally reached the required settings after immersing the food, no matter what its initial temperature.

On a different subject, I get an alert on my iPhone saying the water is ready long after the actual meal… any thoughts

Thanks Jordan

Just to chime in on the starting temp idea.

What if you wanted to use your Anova not to cook, but to maintain something else in water at a steady temp of 70F ?

If 100F were the starting point you could not use it for that.

It's a great tool, but I've had a couple of problems - quite possibly because I'm a newbie:  

First, a point jpf55 raised is an irritant for me too: repeated messages to my phone telling me that the target temperature has been reached and it is ready to start cooking - long after cooking has actually started.  

I think, but am not certain, that this occurs whenever the temperature drops below its target by a tenth of a degree, and then returns to the target level.  

Second:  Having started my first cook, I sat back in the living room to browse through other recipes in the app - only to find that the app changed the settings on the cooker to match each recipe I looked at!  

Is there a way to tell the cooker to not change its settings unless the cook specifically authorizes it?

I love my APC but the app never gets used. I completely agree with other posters here that whole recipes are no good to me, all I need is basic cooking controls for commonly used staples, ie steak, chicken etc. The app should load immediately into manual temp/time control with a button for basic steak/chicken etc and a smaller button underneath for whole recipes. The Kenji tie-in is great for marketing but is a big step backwards for usability, I don’t want to scroll past pages and pages of small text every time I want to cook a steak, I just want cut, thickness, temperature and time, accessed quickly and easily with as few taps on the screen as possible. Steve Jobs once famously said “the interface is the product” and in it’s current iteration, the app is harming Anova. 

Account required = Deal Breaker: Goodbye Anova
How do companies like Anova get their head so far up their A$$?

1 Like

Unfortunately installing the latest app has turned my Sous Vide into a giant thermometer.

I have a user-name, password set up for the browser interface (hence I am writing this here). But the app won’t let me use these same credentials on my iPhone 6 plus. I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the app three times.

I’ve filed a support ticket and I hope someone has the time to work on this.

Disappointing having had a wireless connected sous vide machine a few months ago that was working perfectly.

1 Like

I thought the last version said you can silence the timer from the app, but I couldn’t figure out how. Running the latest version.

Hi @ButchHatesAnova, you aren’t alone. Many people complained about the new user account requirements and we changed them. You can read more from our CEO about how we changed the requirements. The Bluetooth cooker, time & temp guide, and recipes are now available without an account, though we still require accounts for WiFi connections for security. Just update the app to the latest version. If you have any more updates or concerns, please reply here and just tag @AlyssaWOAH. She’s our customer-service expert.

2 Likes

Delayed start and Keep Warm are two of the biggest no brainers!!!

These cannot be that hard to implement just add it as an addition cook timer but it becomes the delay. Have the keep warm just be a temp drop or hold (at min temp) when cooking timer is done.

PLEASE !!!

I have three Sous Vide apps running on iOS.

Anova
Sous Vide Celsius
PolyScience Sous Vide Toolbox

PolyScience Sous Vide Toolbox is my hands down favorite, it is probably more geared toward restaurants and probably more complex than really needs to be.
It is also incompatible with iOS 11xx, unfortunately and the developer hasn’t updated.

Sous Vide Celsius is my second favorite app. Again, probably more complex than home chefs require. But who doesn’t like options?

The new Anova app is a significant improvement over the original, which I rarely used, replacing it with PolyScience Sous Vide. I do appreciate that Anova is on the path of continual improvements and I can’t imagine cooking without my APC. Will give the new app a fair trial now.

Is anyone else having this issue? Whenever there is an update to the app I need to repair my APC. The last time I had to 1) delete the app, 2) bring the APC next to my router and 3) reinstall the app from scratch.

I just updated the app and again the app can not find the APC. What gives? This is a major inconvenience.

In the Apple IOS app I note that on observation the APC seems to get out of sync with the app if you cancel a cook that is preheating or underway. The app and / or the APC does not seem to clear all the instructions for the cancelled cook / recipe. Maybe the developers could use this feedback to test the code for app or APC memory ‘garbage collection’, app to APC sync frequency or some other way to ensure the app and the APC have the same instructions and state.

Other suggestions are:

• A way to turn off the beeping. Beeping to shut down after some time of after some user action.
  • Be able to set in some preferences to set the APC’s default time and temp at startup.
  • Be able to connect and control the APC from more than one device
  • After preheating, you get a notification to drop the food and the timer counter immediately starts. I think in some preferences be able to set this to happen automatically OR after a user action.
  • Make the IOS app universal so it orientates correctly for an iPad.