Trouble with Anova - looking for help

I’m having trouble. I tried to make hard boiled eggs. I followed the app instructions. They were undercooked and spongy. Not edible. Any one have this problem, or have a solution ?

I’d start by checking the water bath temperature with another thermometer to make certain that your circulator is giving correct temperature readings.

It’s probably stating the obvious, but there is a lot of variability in eggs and their sizes. Is it possible that you were using a jumbo egg where the instructions called for large?

I hate to say this, but it’s my opinion that your Anova may not be the new universal cooking appliance for the 21st Century.

You can call me old-fashioned.
Guilty as charged your honour.

I think you are looking for trouble, and you found it or it found you. Trying to make hard boiled eggs using your Anova when conventionally cooked eggs are so quick and easy can be frustrating, plus a waste of time and perfectly good eggs.

Try this technique, it never fails:

1. Boil ample water
  2. Add eggs to boiling water.
  3. Cover pan, reduce heat to obtain 180F to 190F water.
    (You can check temperature by removing lid. Ignore the name of the egg item, don’t boil.)
  4. Cook exactly 11 minutes after lid-on for large eggs.
  5. Decant eggs and serve.
    Or add eggs to ice water bath to cool quickly for later service.

Follow the technique and you won’t get the coloured ring around the yolks that proclaims badly cooked to your guests.

If i’m peeling the eggs for later service, after draining the hot water i give the pan some rough shaking to crack the shells before adding them to the ice water bath. That makes peeling much quicker and easier. Peel the eggs under running water. It helps keep them pretty.

Thanks for responding. I agree completely! I was trying to cook eggs because that was recommended as an easy way to try out the Anova cooker. I’ve come to the conclusion after trying a second time, that using this method of cooking eggs is a waste of time and food. The eggs I’ve made so far look and taste awful! Hopefully I’ll have more luck with other foods.

Eggs are full of frustration because of the way they are.

Try chicken breast instead. You won’t look back.

I make deviled eggs for many of our family gatherings, so I hard boil eggs a lot! (the not so secret ingredient is bacon!) :wink:

The method here is pretty much fool proof:

Adding a tsp of baking soda to the bath makes them a little easier to peel.

Start to peel your eggs by breaking/tapping on the fat end first…usually that’s where the air bubble in the membrane forms, so there’s a gap. :slight_smile:

Yes, the APC is a great tool, but I still prefer the other methods when it comes to eggs. :slight_smile:

I love my Anova WiFi Precision Cooker and I live my Instant Pot Pressure Cookers but sometimes there is just another better tool for the job. That stove does have a purpose.