Ugly result for short ribs

Hi. So, using the recipe of Gavin Edwards for sous vide beef short ribs, I put all my new stuff to use…Anova machine, Rubbermaid container with a neoprene sleeve and a silicone top, and a rack. I used a Nesco vacuum sealing machine to seal the short ribs, freshly bought at the local butcher, after I put the ingredients…herbs and butter…in with it after searing it, as per the recipe, in a skillet. Forty eight hours later (the prescribed time at 131F, Both bags of meat had ballooned, although the seals remained intact. The smell was awful…actually like feces. I threw everything out, obviously. I guess I’ll stick to recipes that don’t call for long cooking times.

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles. I’ve usually has good results with long cooks, but every now and then, you’ll get a piece of meat that has something nasty on it: be it spoilage organisms or something pathogenic. Even from the local butcher. It happens. Good luck the next go round, if there ever is one.

Long cooking times are fine, I’ve done it numerous times without issue. Though I would stick to recipes that go at a higher temperature to avoid the risk (at 131, you’re right at the safety borderline). For things like short ribs, you could easily go ten degrees higher, even a little more. You’re not serving them medium rare and, if you are (e.g., for flanken cut), two hours would be enough time - after 48 hours you’ll probably have medium rare mush, which doesn’t sound very appetizing.

(Note in the comments that a number of people had issues with the recipe at the lower temp, including spoilage: Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs)

You seared it before? Why? I have never done that, seems redundant and wasteful because the meats just gonna soak for 2 days in its own juices. Searing is to encase, like a shell.

Maybe that’s why?

Searing aids the Maillards reaction: allowing some developments of this flavor compounds while uin the bag. It also will kill any pathogenic organisms in the surface without allowing them to potentially breed and product toxins. Cooking low and slow, while it should kill off anything nasty, will take some time, and during that time, some bacteria can germinate, reproduce, and produce toxins if it’s that type of organism.
Searing doesn’t encase anything. This myth, though disproven many times over, still persists for whatever reason.

For long cooks I usually dip the vacuum packed food in a quick (45 sec -1 min) boiling water bath to kill off any surface bacteria. It’s kind of an annoying extra step, but if it helps on something that I’m spending that much time, and usually money on, it’s totally worth it. A slightly higher temp is also good for long cooks, bacteria can still grow at some of the lower temps I like for steak. 134F should be safe across the board for long cooks, you may have to adjust your choice of meat/cuts accordingly.

I have loosely (minus the recipe deviation) made what you described many times and never had your issue. The only thing your doing differently than me is the pre sear.

So that’s why I assumed it was that.

Sure, scientifically ur right. But searing sure does make a good steak extra juicy and taste superior than a non seared with an awesome crust (usually crust is associated with a shell, and shells are usually associated with protection and protection is associated with locking something in… Lmfao) Maybe that’s why it persists, because ya know reality and what not.

Foul smell at low temps on beef is 100% bacteria, harmless bacteria but will certainly ruin the eating!

As per above boil a pan of water and put the bag in for 45secs to a minute and won’t be an issue going forward…