Vessel type for anova

I completely forgot to upload the setup in the end. Here it is, I used scissors to cut the main shape, then used a dremel to smooth and tidy the edges for the cuttout on the lid. I didnt realise the lid sits further down from the rim of the container, so I made the cut for the bracket rather than the machine. Don’t think its an issue though, I can live with that mistake

1 Like

@AlyssaWOAH
I think I got a little overzealous and went with an 18 Qt LIPAVI Model C15 (with lid). My 1000 watt seems to have trouble reaching temps above 150°F. It takes almost 1hour for the unit to reach 180°F. Is this normal for the amount thermal heat loss a container of water this big will have?

I want to make sure my unit is operating normally, or should it be able to produce enough heat for this muck water?

Thoughts?

Mike, your observation indicates your circulator is somehow overloaded at about 3/4 of the nominal capacity.

What steps have you taken to minimize heat loss?

Thank you for responding :wink:

As of now, I haven’t done to much to minimize heat loss other than using the lid and a Teflon cutting board on the counter.

Are you saying that the 1000 Watt circulator should be able to maintain 180°F with a 17-18 Quart water volume?

I can wrap the outside of the LIPAVI with some insulating material if need be, but like I say, I just want to get an idea of what a reasonable expectation from this unit in terms of heating maintenance per water volume is. (?).

I understand that the main variable in the heat loss is through the container walls. So yes, I understand that :wink:
has anyone come across the insulation value of these various containers?

Mike K.

Mike, i have the suspicion something isn’t right with your rig as you are well within the rated capacity of your circulator under normal circumstances. Your LIPAVI’s polycarbonate material resists heat loss and has been the standard used in commercial food services for over 3 decades.

As an example for you, a leading Community member here has reported successfully using an older model circulator with a 48 litre insulated container consistently for several years.

Rather than answer your question which goes beyond my basic understanding of physical science, just consider the use of an insulating wrap and base which will certainly reduce some of the heat loss you are experiencing.

Going further you might want to reconsider your understanding of heat loss. Your LIPAVI is more shallow than most SV vessels and thus has a larger open surface area with an associated potential for increased heat loss. As you likely know evaporation consumes a substantial amount of energy, particularly at the elevated temperatures you are using.

Simple evaporation reduction solutions employed include floating insulation material when cooking. Ping-pong balls and “bubble-wrap” are inexpensive and frequently used successfully. Even a sheet of plastic wrap on the water surface will reduce evaporation.

The Anova technicians at SUPPORT above will likely be of greater assistance than i can be.