Warm Ageing (Step Cooking) for steaks.

Can anyone elaborate on this process as its not widely circulated on the net and food safety is questionable. Have always dry brined my ribeyes preferably 2 days ahead and they are usually always moister n tender packed with flavour. Tried warm ageing once with a ribeye dry brined for 2 hours with salt n fish sauce @104F x 1.5hrs and 135F x 2 hrs. Skipped the 120F x 1hr step worrying about pathogens… Steak turned out mushy at certain parts and tender at the other … No noticeable difference on taste though… Is it really worth to try out this faux dry aging method?

You should stay with your 2-day dry brine process if it’s done under refrigeration. You could even go for another day, or two the most. Just be sure to be impeccably clean in handling your meat. Alcohol swab wipes used on your hands and tools are a good start.

You likely realize you can achieve excellent results cooking your steaks using Anova.

I think you answered your own question based on your experience although i am surprised you didn’t detect any taste difference in the steak, particularly with the mushy parts. Usually improperly aged meat takes on a distinctively sour taste.

You were wise to consider possible harmful pathogens, never mind their potential toxins. As you discovered warm aging is really uncontrolled rotting. Proper aging requires rigid temperature and humidity controls, not something usually achievable at home.

1 Like