Dry Aged Beef

A friend of mine has started to dry age beef. I think he has slowed down recently with the high price of beef. Has anyone tried sous vide techniques on dry aged beef?

I just treat it the same.

Could you elaborate on your answer? Treat it the same in what way? Dry aging take place over at least 30 days. Surely you’re not suggesting 30 days in sous vide.

sigh

I cook dry aged beef in exactly the same way as I cook non-dry aged beef. Same time. Same temperature. Same finishing steps. Same.

2 Likes

Don’t be so churlish.

The poorly worded original post led “nestorph” to believe that the poster’s friend used an immersion circulator to dry-age beef. “nestorph” was trying to get you to elaborate on your overly terse “I treat it just the same”.

Why overly terse? What does the it refer to—dry-aged beef or sous-vide techniques? Your reply with the mocking “sigh” was nicely formed and should have been what you posted in the first place.

1 Like

Let’s lighten up Community.

Quarantine fatigue is becoming evident.

1 Like

You’re not going to dry age beef in a sous vide. Dry aging uses oxygen in the aging process. If you have your beef in a sealed package you’re not using any oxygen. Also, dry aging draws the moisture out of beef in the process, that is the point of it, you’re not going to do that in a sealed bag, the moisture is going to stay. Finally, you’re dry aging in a lower temperature than the water is in your sous vide, more like a fridge, temperature and humidity controlled. You should research the dry aging process and you’d provide your own answer.

1 Like

Good grief!

Sigh.

1 Like

My original post was if you cook dry aged beef any differently. Nothing to do with the dry aging process.

Am i the only one having difficulty with the amount of shrinkage and waste that results from dry aging? I understand the distinctive flavour and texture controlled rotting provides, - but the cost is brutal!

It is; with the current beef prices I doubt I will try it soon.

I also read an article that said the breathable bags being sold for dry aging do not give the same result as a true dry aged steak. They think the flavor is different.

I dry age regularly using the UMAi bags and the flavor is maybe a bit more nutty than a commercial dry aged steak. The last whole ribeye I aged lost about 40% total weight between fat, moisture and bark. It is not what I consider to be a great value but more of a special treat. I will add that the choice grade after aging was as good as any prime I have ever eaten.

I’ve been dry ageing for just over a year now mostly wagyu scotch fillet (boneless ribeye) MBS3-7 and I have done a lot of sous vide cooks early on but I can honestly say that I prefer conventional cooking for dry aged steaks

I have researched Dry Ageing, experimented extensively, cooking the results SV. I cannot agree that in 100% of cases dry aged beef should be treated the same as non-dry aged beef. As previously mentioned Dry Ageing losses so 40% of the weight of the meat, all moisture, so it will not be as juicy. Also the process of Dry Ageing starts the decomposition of the meat so it losses some of the original toughness. With thinner joints the meat will lost it pink, rosy colour so it will look different if cooked to rare or medium. I have found that if you what to cook Dry Aged beef SV then cook at a lower temperature than you would normally do and for shorter.
When using Dry Ageing bags, remember to remove the patina from the meat, yes it contributes to the weight loss, but I use it in burgers, sausages and mince.
One method to try, is to purchase a joint of beef from your local store that has been Wet Aged and then Dry Age that. The result is slightly different but so is the cost so worth initial experiments

I dry age my whole boneless or bone-in ribeye for about 45 days in a Umai dry aging bag. Cut them up but, I do not trim off the pelicle and sous vide as normal. I never have a complaint and everyone likes the tender flavorful steaks.

1 Like