Could Anova resist huge long cooking periods?

Hi there!!! I am new in this wonderfull community and I have one doubt about the device capabilities.
I want to prepare a veeeery special dish for christmas. The problem is that the original recipe is based on the use of a sous-vide oven such as Sous Vide Supreme. The point is that the recipe tooks… 100 hours to be cooked!!! (Ossobuco recipe),I 'm scared to try and break my newest device so… Does anybody know if Anova can support this loooooong cooking without a problem or better I should try with a shorter recipe?

Thank you in advance.

It’s not something I do often, but I’ve run mine for about 48 hours straight a few times and had no problems.
A friend who has one has run for 75 or so and it survived. Not sure how many times he has repeated that process though.

The main thing in a long cook is just keeping an eye on the water level so that it doesn’t run low which could easily damage the heater.

1 Like

I have done short ribs a few times for 72 hours with no problems. LIke @acs says you need to watch the water level. Medium rare short ribs were delicious and very tender. Different looking than anything you have done before.

1 Like

I think it’s a valid question, I was actually wondering the same… What is the duty cycle of our device?

Hi @Khassad, welcome to the community, we are happy to have you!

You can definitely do long cooks with the Anova.

An addition tip I would add would be to cover your container, and to put a little hole in what ever you cover it with for steam to escape that isn’t close the the device. A common issue we see is people doing long cooks is that they cover their container but don’t leave a hole and then steam is only escaping right next to the device, which can get into the electronics (i.e. not good).

1 Like

Hmm. I actually disagree about the hole for steam bit. :slight_smile: The PC does have a wee bit of a design flaw. Having the vents for the “head” of the unit where all of the electronics are and the vent directly below it wasn’t the most brilliant design. :smiley: (previously, before I cut the hole in the top of my Cambro, the PC would tend to overheat on longer cooks - due to the escaping steam around the PC - that was with cling wrap).

Now that I’ve cut the hole (and put electrical tape around the rim, producing a nice seal), there’s no escape of moisture. As we’re not actually boiling the bath, the steam build-up should be minimal…it will rise to the top, condense and then run back down into the bath. Hard to notice any loss due to evaporation anymore.

If you DO cut a hole for vapour to escape, you’ll have to make sure you’re keeping an eye on your water level.

1 Like

fair point, as long as the seal around the anova is tight shouldn’t be an issue. But if you are just using cling wrap or tin foil definitely leave a little hole :slight_smile:

Heh. The “rub” is that, unless you have a hard lid and around the Anova is fairly well sealed, having a hole elsewhere won’t guarantee that you won’t still have steam escaping around the Anova. :slight_smile: