12lb Prime rib roast

I am going to try for the first time a prime rib in the sous vide and i could use some info? First it is a 5 rib 12lb prime rib and i am looking for suggestions on time and temp for this size prime rib and also any tips on seasoning?

Joe, that’s a significant investment for a first effort not to mention that SV cooking meat on the bone adds a few extra challenges.

FYI sous vide is the name of the cooking technique, not your cooking vessel.

The following is what i told Akio here on Dec. 15:

"Here’s my technique for a tender beef roast:
If the roast is frozen, thaw it uncovered in your refrigerator. Depending on it’s size it will take up to 48 hours.
Then give it a thorough coating with a mixture of two parts Kosher salt to one of black pepper (by weight).
Place it on a wire rack set over a pan or plate, and let it rest uncovered in your refrigerator for up to 72 hours.
When ready to cook take your roast out of the refrigerator. There shouldn’t be any visible moisture on the meat, but if there is pat it dry.
Vacuum seal and cook as usual.

If there are bones attached to the prime rib i recommend removing them to prevent an accidental bag puncture (they can have very sharp edges) and also to reduce cooking time. You can double vacuum pack the bones and cook them along with the roast.

Joe, your SV cooking temperature will be determined by you according to your undisclosed desired degree of doneness such as very Rare, or maybe its Medium-Rare, etc.

The duration of every SV cook is determined by the thickness of the meat. I could guess, but 12 pounds is not particularly useful in precisely determining the length of time it will take heat to defuse throughout your roast at your chosen temperature. Bones-on will require a significantly longer cook.

You can make you own time and temperature decisions once you are familiar with Dr. Baldwi’s detailed information at the following site:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Do the work and you will excel.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.It is fresh not frozen I am going to cook to 136 and the bone are cut off the roast but tied on from the butcher. When I measure the thickness it looks to be just under 5 inch’s thick and for that thickness it says 6 hours but I don’t believe that is correct I use the joule app very handy to this point but it never mentions lenght or weigh just thickness. So in your opinion based on what into I gave you how long would this cook?

You’re welcome.

You are " . . going to cook to 136".
Will that also be your Anova’s temperature setting?
Some professional users i know cook at higher than the internal target temperatures but it is exceedingly difficult without specialized equipment.

Please help me understand why you don’t believe the Joule’s app information is correct. Is it because the Joule is less powerful?

Could there be a valid reason length and weight aren’t mentioned?

Would it not be more useful for you to gain an understanding of the underlying science supporting the SV cooking technique than seeking my opinion on this single cooking event? I

I encourage you to do the work.
Learn and use your SV cooking knowledge rather than following some app of undetermined usefulness. Most people have more successful outcomes when they understand what they are doing.

I have used this unit before and everything I have done came out perfect. I set it to the internal temp I want to finish at. I did not think on a piece of meat that large would go by thickness only I thought the weight might come into play. For that thickness it says 6 hrs and I would think I could leave it in the bath a couple of hours longer . I don’t know what you mean about power it heats and circulates water to a temperature and holds it there do better ones heat faster? As far as doing the work that is what I trying to do from users that know more than I do. The app gives me times and temperature I just wanted to get other opinions.

Knowledge always trumps opinions.
What in your SV experience leads you to believe the time provided by the app is incorrect or length or weight matter?
Knowledge or opinion?

Many new to this Community persist on holding to their beliefs that weight impacts cook time. It doesn’t. Cooking is the transmission of heat energy through matter.
Weight was wrong in the last century and continues to be wrong in this one.
( I’ve discovered that just about everything i learned in culinary school has been proven wrong over the years. )

Instead of cooking your 5-bone roast, how much time would an entire sub-primal 7-bone roast need to achieve the same temperature equilibrium?
Right!
The same amount of time because the heat energy has to diffuse through the same distance, from surface to core, to achieve temperature equilibrium even though the larger roast is at least 5 pounds heavier and considerably longer.
Weight doesn’t matter.
Length doesn’t matter either.

Let go of old experiences and think about what is happening as you SV cook. The length of time required for heat in the water to defuse through your roast has nothing nothing to do with meat weight. It’s only the amount of heat energy, let’s call it temperature for the sake of simplicity, and the distance the heat energy has to travel through the meat to bring all of your roast to the target temperature.

Of course you can hold the meat past 6 hours. I most certainly would.
And you should too, particularly if you are going to leave those bones insulating the meat.

You might find this useful.
Let’s suspend opinion and think about what’s happening when you leave the bones intact. The meat is in contact with the heated water on all but one side. You know the side with the bones has significantly more dense matter than just meat for the heat to penetrate which slows its rate of diffusion. To offset the resistance of dense bones heat energy has further to travel from other surfaces to achieve equilibrium. Thus the longer distance means a longer time will be required. That is the reason i agree with your opinion the app is incorrect specific to to a bone-in roast.

Or remove the bones.

And learn from Baldwin.

1 Like

I made a 4 bone roast for Christmas. I used a recipe by Mike Vrobel for a boneless rib roast. It helped me with my times, and the roast came out quite good. I loved the method of cooking because my oven was still clean after our dinner. The family consensus was that filet steak and ribeyes come out noticeably tender and tastier when cooked with the sous vide method and then seared, than the prime rib roast. Personal preference or my inexperience? I cannot say for sure. From the cook’s standpoint, everything I have made using sous vide has been awesome, effortless on timing and clean up. The prime rib was just okay. I would not make it this way again.