Prime Rib

Perfect Prime Rib

Recipe Temp: 133.8 f

Recipe Time: 2 hrs per pound

Ingredients:

• 1 prime rib – 3 bone minimum but no bigger than four bones unless you are cooking in a cooler
  • 3 oz of Kosher Salt, as needed
  • 3 oz of Black pepper, ground
  • 3 oz of dried garlic powder
  • 4 sprigs Rosemary, as needed
  • Garlic, crushed, about 4 to six cloves as needed
  • 2.2 oz Herbs, fresh, such as rosemary and thyme
  • 1.1 oz whole Black peppercorns
  • 1 oz of dry mustard powder
  • 2 - 4 Egg white
  • 1 l Beef Stock
  • 2 oz of prime rib rub or other type of dry rub (optional)

Steps:

Preparation of meat prior to cooking

1. Unwrap your prime rib but keep the butcher paper to use as a “cutting” board for work area

2. Mix your rub mixture in a separate dish and then put seasoning all over the roast

3. Place roast in either a 2 gallon zip lock back or in an oven roasting bag. You can also use vacuum sealer bags and your vacuum sealer.

4. Seal your roast in preparation for cooking

5. Place roast in a pyrex dish that can hold it and let it sit for a minimum of 2 hours to as long as 12 hours

6. Set up the immersion circulator or sous vide oven to accommodate the size of your roast
    a. To determine how much water, place the roast in water to determine the water level

7. Turn on the unit and set the temperature for the desired doneness internally and cook time
    a. To figure out the cook time, multiply the number of pounds by a multiplier of 2 to 2.5 hours

8. When water temperature reaches 80% readiness, go ahead and place your roast in the water bath

9. Let the device cook your roast to the desired temperature and inform you when it’s done. You can leave it in the bath up to about an hour before texture changes towards a higher temperature

Finishing

1. About 30 - 45 minutes before the roast is finished, preheat your oven to 425 degrees
  2. In a small mixing bowl, crack your two eggs and separate the the yolk from the egg white. NOTE: you can also use pre-made egg whites if needed
  3. Take two sprigs of rosemary and chop them up finely
  4. In a separate bowl combine the peppercorns, garlic powder and rosemary
  5. When the roast is finished, remove it from the bath
  6. Place the roast on a baking sheet that will be used for searing in the oven
  7. Pour the juices in a container to be used to make the au jus
  8. Pat the roast dry to remove any moisture from cooking
  9. In a skillet, with a pat of butter, add minced garlic, black pepper, cooking liquid and ⅓ cup of beef broth
  10. Bring to a boil and then simmer till the liquid is reduced by half. Skim off any solids and then pour reduction into a serving dish for pouring
  11. With a rubber spatula, cover the roast with egg white mixture. This is the binder to hold the dry ingredients for the crust
  12. Salt the roast and then liberally coat the roast with the dry mixture and cover as much as possible on the top, ends and sides. Add whole peppercorns if you want
  13. Place roast in the pre-heated oven for 10 - 20 minutes until crust is a golden brown. Watch this process as to not “scorch” the crust.
  14. Remove the roast after the alloted time and let “rest” for 15 minutes

Finished Roast!!!
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25659491_10157010959840550_1939275999406193878_n.jpg?oh=aad24c26a84b30a7a878dc9c5fb5b5f6&oe=5ABBBC3E

1 Like

Please help me understand why a 4-bone roast would take longer to cook using sous vide when is likely equally as thick as the 3-bone roast?

Thank you.

Good morning…

I used a per weight time because this would depend upon how many people you would be feeding. I don’t go by the number of bones because that measurement isn’t nearly as precise.

Also notice I said that for most cooking, a four bone rib is about as big as most containers will take like a water oven or the plastic bin most may have. Now if you’re using a cooler, heck you got all kind of room!!

I’m adding photos as I finish the process today.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for sharing your Perfect Prime Rib recipe and your precise weight driven approach to setting cook times. I understand how the number of bones wouldn’t be a reliable factor in the selection of a cooking time. I totally missed your comment on most cooking and room available.

I was wondering about the safety of letting the meat sit in a Pyrex dish for up to 12 hours. Couldn’t that be dangerous?

What i don’t understand is how your weight time system be applied to something like chicken. Do you use the same multiplier numbers? As i live alone i would almost never cook a prime rib but often wonder how to more precisely calculate the perfect cooking time for poultry. Also, would smaller less desirable cuts of beef, particularly boneless ones, use the same multiplier as your Prime Rib recipe?

Thank you for sharing your success with the Anova community.

I don’t have anything on chicken of that sort. But what I did do was create a spreadsheet that I use for reference on all sorts of proteins and vegetables.

The weight system works good for really big cuts of meat like a prime rib or a brisket.

Smaller cuts, like steaks really don’t need the weight system as you are going to be going by more of a thickness rather than a weight system.

Good luck and thanks for reading!!

If you could share your spread sheet on the time and temperature for protein and veggies would be great.

Curious what temperature and time would you cook this pork belly - 800G

Picture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=138h6nEHHne3gIvrMUUl1q5yn52CzljXV

Kelinton, I’ve placed a copy of the spreadsheet up here for public use.

enjoy.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for sharing that with us! @nbascribe

Yeah!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like