Anova app vs Joule app recipe cross reference

So just for kicks I downloaded the Joule app to check out recipes and see how they stack up to Anova. I found that sometimes I could find a recipe in one but not the other.

Having both seems to give me more options and a few times when I couldn’t find a fitting recipe in Anova the Joule app filled the gap.

However, I am noticing for very similar recipes the cook times vary tremendously.

The Anova app recommended 18 hrs for a large roast and Joule recommended 24 hrs. Personally, on the roast I probably would have gotten better results if I had stuck with 18 hrs (went with 24)

What would account for different cook times for “same” recipe?

I put same in quotes on purpose cuz each recipe may vary depending on weight of meat. AND temp.

Which leads to another question - if recipe calls for a 2.5 lb roast and I happen to have a 3.5 lb roast, do I have to adjust time or temp? Seems to me that as long as the temp is held why wouldn’t the 2.5 lb recipe work for 3.5lb or 5 lbs, etc?

It’s not really the weight, but the thickness of the meat that changes your cooking time (as you want a consistent level of doneness throughout the meat - thicker cuts take longer to get that temperature all the way to their core).

A REALLY good guide on thickness, using ice baths and so much more is here: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

As for why the temperatures are different for rare, medium rare, etc - that really boils down (no pun intended) :slight_smile: to personal bias. You’ll find med-rare is different from steak house X vs steak house Y. Same thing. The beautiful thing about sous vide is, you can play with that range around your desired level of doneness and decide what is absolutely perfect for you…and then repeat it perfectly every time you prepare them!! :slight_smile:

When it comes to beef - the longer you cook it, the more tender it becomes. Fantastic information on just what that means for steak can be found on Serious Eats here: Sous Vide Steak Guide | The Food Lab

There is an immense amount of information on sous vide cooking available online…google is your friend. :slight_smile:

Thanks for this, it makes a lot of sense - I appreciate the links and will “immerse” myself with thus info :sunglasses: