API / Developer SDK

Don’t… I have two of them (both are WiFi + BT) and despite a whole bunch of promises that they will fix the app and provide support for multicook (controlling more than one device) or multitemp (changing temp during cook), nothing has been done. The app is TERRIBLE and almost utterly worthless.

When it comes to the app, on a scale of 0 to 10, my patience with it is at 1 at the moment.

They also promised releasing the SDK… that didn’t come. Instead they want to launch a new device (the nano) so they’ll end up with a bunch of half finished products. Personally I’m fed up with the way they’ve handled the app development. Gave them a ton of feedback and almost non of it has been implemented.

If Joule did a 220v version, I would have gotten that instead.

Sorry @AlyssaWOAH but this is the reality of things right now.

Thanks, @zqushair. I appreciate the feedback, and it will play into my decision. I don’t use iOS or Android devices, so without an API, the “extra” features of being “connected” with an expensive remote control are useless to me. Someone suggested the Joule the other day, so I guess I’ll look that one up. Shame, since this one has such high ratings from those who don’t know what connected really means.

Meh - that one requires an app, too. Back to the drawing board.

@zqushair I understand why you’d be annoyed - I 100% get it.

Although still not perfect, the app has had some improvements (time + temp input, better way to troubleshoot bugs, in-app customer support, in-app feedback form, easier layout). I know these might seem like small details, but they’re still useful.

We’re also working on the bigger stuff (example: bringing back ice-bath, which we’re currently testing to make sure it works as it should). Slowly but surely, we’re getting through the extensive list of app requests.

About the SDK, I’m honestly sorry. I know some folks here have been waiting for this for a long time. It really shouldn’t have gone this long. I’ve actually just alerted the entire team your feedback on this, along with your feedback on the other features you’ve mentioned. I’m pushing this (SDK) to be done ASAP.

We don’t want to lose you as a customer and as a community member here. You’re always welcome to PM me on here with any other requests or feedback. I do communicate with the team any issues I see coming up in here. We hear ya!

@Rich true but at least it has a decent app.

@AlyssaWOAH Yes the app is much much better (im using the beta app at the moment and its way better than the old one.

But still you have an API thats not opened up. All thats needed is a way to pick the registered anovas id. Or in my case fetch the two i have. That is not rocket science to do. (Since you have an API that your app talks to it is possible. And even more since you have integration with google home and alexa)

Would be grateful if you push some. Or if you have something that some selected users could test out I’d be happy to. Since i develop stuff myself.

1 Like

After lots of tinkering with the app, and having problems with losing bluetooth connectivity intermittently, I’ve concluded that the easiest and most reliable way to cook with the Anova is to ignore the app.

I simply stick my cooker into the pot, set the target temperature with the scroll wheel, and turn it on. Once it reaches target temperature, I get a beep. Now I drop my food into the water and set a timer on my phone, or start my kitchen egg timer, or set an alarm clock, whatever I like. (I don’t use the timer on the Anova itself because it is too cumbersome to set on the device with the silly press-and-hold for eight seconds thing, plus press-and-hold again for three seconds to restore the temperature units.)

Once my alarm clock goes off, I take the food out. Simple, effective, works every time, doesn’t need bluetooth or an app. All I need is the cooker and any kind of timer or alarm clock.

I get the distinct impression that entire bluetooth/wifi/app thing was never properly thought through. It is a far too complex a solution for a simple problem, namely, how to keep some food at X degrees for Y minutes.

With the app, we have this ultra-complicated answer that needs ultra high-tech networking such as bluetooth and wifi, that has to deal with all the complexity that this entails (such as how to securely tunnel into my internal wifi network from the outside internet), how to pair one or more phones with one or more cookers, how to restore connectivity if a phone goes to sleep and wakes up again (potentially with a different IP address assigned by DHCP), etc, etc, etc.

And, if I can use the cooker without an app, it means that I can still use the cooker if my phone has run out of battery, if I’ve accidentally left the phone on my desk at work on a Friday afternoon, if my phone has just developed a defect and I need to get it fixed, or if my home router suddenly has decided to have a hissy fit.

To me, the bluetooth/wifi/app idea is a solution in search of a problem. By all means, allow me to have an app that will automatically set time and temperature for a particular recipe, or a way to tell my cooker to start cooking while I’m still at the office at work. For some people, that is interesting and useful. But, if you want to have a device that is truly useful, give it a timer that can be set easily and quickly on the device itself, without the need to go through complex contortions of button presses.

In other words, make it easy to use the device without an app first. Then think about how to add value by having an app and all the extra bits. As is, the app adds more problems than it solves.

2 Likes

Well, I’m still looking around. Since I’m firmly in the Microsoft camp (phone included - and I LOVE my Windows Phone, support or not), no improvements to an iOS or Android app will help me. Yes, I know that I’m in the minority - and that’s fine. I understand companies not wanting to “waste” their time on me. But if there were an SDK, I could build it myself.

That said, I’m also fine with a device that doesn’t need an app - as long as that device is simple to use. That, to me, is the best product. The bells and whistles don’t have to all be there, but the device needs to be simple to use on its own.

1 Like

You’re not in the minority @Rich, well… maybe a bit when it comes to the phone. But I’m certainly a Windows based house-hold. Even down to having a Windows tablet for use in the kitchen. I had to buy a dual boot tablet so that I could run the Anova app on a tablet. Then finished up using my phone when discovered the device couldn’t talk to two controllers.

Would dearly love a Wndows control option.

2 Likes

Posting in a thread about an SDK to develop own features has nothing to do with the app … with an SDK or an open api you can ditch the app and develop your own control. Thats the point with this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ember @Rich you are a minority … 0.1% of the mobile phone user base has windows nowdays :wink: But it would be fun to control it from any computer or tablet. Without using the phone. Regardless of the OS.

I want it on my home automation system. Or add my own alarms when the food is done by sending me an email.

1 Like

@AlyssaWOAH at least you can write a quick function that can fetch anova id and secre. Set that to beta mode for a selected audience. That way you can get the community to write api samples for the various things out there. And just put a limit on how often you can poll the api.

1 Like

Oh, I’m on a 'Droid phone. But everything else in network is Windows based.

1 Like

Whether we are the minority (which has been admitted) or not is irrelevant to this conversation. Actually, Windows is still on more than 1.5 billion devices, which makes it a very large minority, only recently surpassed by Android. The fact of the matter is that if there were an SDK, everyone would benefit, not just people on Windows. Why? Innovation. It seems clear that Anova’s software developer department is exceedingly small, or they would have done more by now. Put out an SDK and watch the ecosystem that Anova could be, flourish.

My personal idea was not to create a Windows 10 app for me (or for the more than 300 million other Windows 10 users), but to create a progressive web app. I’m teaching myself web development now - I’ve tinkered with desktop, Windows Mobile, Windows CE, and Windows Phone in the past, but I’m teaching myself web now, and think that a PWA is the way to go. One code base. Accessible by literally anyone in the world. And for those with a device that will allow installation of PWAs, an app-like experience.

There’s no need to pound our minority status into our heads - we are well aware, and have made our choices accordingly. The point is to make something for everyone.

2 Likes

BTW - there is an iPad in my home. It rarely gets used. I have something better.

1 Like

@Rich, looks like Microsoft just ditched the Windows mobile platform (again!)

1 Like

For now. I’m going to hang onto my Icon until it dies, I die, or the next mobile development from Microsoft comes out (hopefully the “2018” rumors are true). I’m happy with it, so there’s no reason for me to switch for now. I’ve changed the battery in it, and I’m in it for the long haul.

1 Like

Nobody knows how to answer your questions if you don’t ask them. Given that you haven’t asked, my first question would be “Is this thread the appropriate venue for your questions?” In other words, are your questions related to the discussion of SDK availability?

2 Likes

It might serve as inspiration for how to improve your own app :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@AlyssaWOAH, Here I am more than a month later. I just noticed that the 900W model is down to $112 on Amazon. Given that significant price drop, I have two questions in mind. First, given that price drop, I’m thinking about it. But I’d like to know whether there is any progress on an SDK, API, or any other way for those of us prone to tinkering to be able to enhance our experience.

Second, that significant of a price drop makes me wonder if there is a new product coming that I should wait for.

Third (not a question, though), here I am a month later, now resigned to the increasing likelihood that I will soon be sporting an Android device, but that does not change the fact that I would like to know about any progress in the SDK / API area.

1 Like