Baby Back Ribs at 167?

Hi! I’m making some Beef Short Ribs right now at 167 for 24 hours. In trying to figure out how to make the most of the heat and electricty (I mean, while we’re here…), I remembered I have some pork ribs in the freezer.
Kenji’s recipe on the app suggests 165 for 12 hours. If I put the pork in at 167 for 12 hours, can anyone tell me whether I’d come away with something edible? Thank you!

2°F isn’t enough of a difference to make the pork ‘inedible’ to use your word choice. In fact, I would suggest that the difference will be unnoticeable from the prescribed 165°F.

I have done beef short ribs at 48 up to 72 hours. I preferred the 48 hour ones. The second batch was good at 72 but I liked the texture at 48 hours better,

Your pork should turn out fine,

I just did a rack of baby back ribs for ~28 hours at 155F and they were falling off the bone fantastic. This is a quote from Douglas Baldwin (and I hope you know who he is):
“Place the pork either in a 176°F (80°C) water bath for 8–12 hours or in 155°F (68°C) water bath for 24 hours.”

I did spareribs a few months ago at 150 degrees for 24 hours and they were delicious but they were falling off the bone, so this time I’ll try 20 hours and hope they are slightly firmer. Any thoughts on that?

Hog, to me the amount of meat the cutters left on spareribs makes a fair bit of difference in calculating cooking time and texture. I always cook ribs at 150F too. I avoid “shiners” and will pick through an entire bunker to find the meatiest racks i can find. I prefer the "St. Louis " racks if i can find them. When done right they can be downright pretty.

All things being equal, which in ribs things seldom are, you might want to shorten up that time a little more, say about 16 hours at 150F to get a tighter bite.

You can judge progress for yourself by pulling each bag of ribs and using your thumb and forefinger pinch alongside the centre of a middle bone to discover the degree of tenderness at that point. Too solid? Then back in they go for a longer cook.

Hi, thanks for your info. I ended up sous videing them for 17 hours as they were massive. I work in a restaurant and can order these huge bad boys. I then painted them with some home made BBQ sauce and smoked them at 225 for an hour using Jack Daniels barrel chips. I sliced one for a trip tomorrow and it was a little pink inside so I seared them with a gas bomb. Really look good! Cheers.

Pink pork is perfectly fine. It hasn’t been essential to cook pork to well done for more than 10 years.

Hey @Hogwhiskers!

Next time you do one of those massive racks post some pics! I can deal with a little envy! :slight_smile:

I have noticed in the last few years that you see a lot more meat on pork bones than you once did. I can remember baby back ribs with almost nothing on them. the St Louis style ribs I see now seem to be very meaty and I have even cut down on my per person amounts when I buy.

I actually did ribs for New Year’s Eve. My first real attempt at ribs sous vide. Had lifted them off a pair of night big meaty pork bellies that I have curing for bacon. Seeing as the bellies were so big, I left a decent amount of meat on the ribs and threw them in the cookin’ cooler for about 30 hours at 60C/`140F. Chilled and refrigerated. They were too big for just the two of us, so when we finished up going to a friend’s for a BBQ I decided to make use of their smoker to warn the up. Awesome ribs. I had given up, thinking I was never going to work out why you guys raved over them so much. I’m now a convert, and looking forward to getting another lot of bacon bellies.

Sorry lads. No photos. I’m not cruel enough to have a phone or camera around when there’s drinking involved.

Plus, at 150 for 17 hours, any#hing bad would have been killed off anyway

I recently did my first batch of pork ribs at 165 for around 10 to 11 hours and they came out perfectly.

Do I have to marinade the pork first or can I put a rub in them and leave them in the fridge for an hour than place in the water bath?

Angela, are you still on the ribs topic or some other cut of pork?

There’s no rules when it comes to pork, cook for yourself. You have many choices or styles to choose from. What’s your favourite?
Think about your desired result and what it’s going to take to get you there with regards to flavour, texture, and degree of doneness.

Marinating pork for an hour isn’t going to make any difference unless it’s acidic. Then it’s potentially unfavourable. A dry rub applied a half day in advance would be useful.

Happy cooking.

Hi the ribs turned out amazing! Thank you for the help!

1 Like