Baby Backs....Part Deux

Making ribs again. This time I measured and wrote down the spices I used in my rub.
My last rib cook the smaller end was a tad dry, so they’re in the fridge for an hour while the large end cooks in the water bath. I’ll pull them out of the fridge a half hour before that hour is up. Let 'em come to room temp.
Then I will just do everything the same as my last rib cook, let the ribs cook for 24 hours total, pat them dry, put the Searzall to 'em, Q sauce 'em and sear again.
Not sure what side to serve…

My favorite is collard greens slow cooked with a ham hock. This may not be for all tastes.

Corn dishes are also a common side for ribs.

Jen, dry meat, tad or otherwise, is an indicator of a temperature malfunction, not time.

You do like to subject meat to room temperature. Is there any particular reason?

If you do everything else just the same you are likely to have the same outcome.

john.jcb
You are correct, collard greens are not for my taste. But as I always say, if we all liked the same thing, there wouldn’t be any of it left.
Been awhile since we had corn…fresh is out of season, but frozen cooked and then sauteed with some colorful peppers…

Hi chatnoir, I have meat come to room temp before grilling, so it cooks evenly.The Weber books on grilling that I have, state to do this. Do I not need to apply this to sous vide cooking?

For sous vide there is really no reason to bring the meat to room temperature. I buy much of my meat when there is a good sale and freeze what I do not plan to cook in a day or so. I cook the packaged meat while it is still frozen allowing it to thaw in the hot bath. Since most of my cooks are 24-48 hours I find that if makes no difference in time.

Jen, a significant benefit of SV cooking is that it’s gentle to your food. The surrounding warm water slowly brings it to your target temperature and then tenderizers it to the precise degree of doness you most enjoy.

It’s like giving your food a relaxing massage while grilling is more like applying electroconvulsive shock therapy to your food. The Weber books were encouraging you to lull your meat into a false sense of security before their firey jolt.

It’s not wrong if done when you are mindful of the time spent at room temperature, just unnecessary.

The Weber books were encouraging you to lull your meat into a false sense of security before their fiery jolt
chatnoir, you make me laugh! Thanks for the analogy, helps me to make sense of the sous vide method.

Thanks, johnjcb, I appreciate your replying and helping me understand.

Jen,thank you.

Happy cooks produce joy-filled meals.

Sous vide takes a little time and practice and soon the new processes become more natural. One thing I have learned is that for meat there is not a set formula to follow. You have to find the right combination of how you like it done and texture. It is really easy for the tender expensive meats but more of a challenge as the cooking time extends with tougher cuts, For me the quest for the perfect texture in a tough cut is almost as much fun as the meal.

As a group we are always happy to help with questions.

1 Like

john.jcb I have a 2" chuck roast dry brining in my fridge right now. Plan on fridge time 24 hours, and cook time 24 hours at 131*.

Sounds good. Make sure you dry it well before searing.

Yep!