Canned Jams and Jellies

Is there a way I can canned fruit like Jams and jellies like strawberries in the cooker

Allegedly, yes. @ChefNicole (Anova’s in-house chef) hasn’t responded to the original thread yet though.

1 Like

Thank you for the reminder, @acs! With winter and citrus season coming to a close, this is a great topic. For making jams & marmalades, recipes like Sous Vide Lemon-Ginger Marmalade give us the guideline of 3h @ 190ºF/87.8ºC. From my research, you can follow almost any traditional jam recipe and simply omit the water. I would be tempted to add a few tablespoons of water or lemon juice, myself, to help speed the dissolving of the sugar. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks @ChefNicole. What about the consistency though? If you use granulated sugar that is not dissolved beforehand, it’s likely going to settle to the bottom, no?

Hi everybody! I have done a fair amount of research and even a bit of experimentation to answer your questions here. You can make quick/refrigerator jams using only your Precision Cooker, but long-shelf-life jams and jellies will still require proper jar processing and potentially extra stovetop cooking to get the product over 222ºF briefly according to a candy thermometer.

I just completed the cooking part of a jam experiment - orange & lemon marmalade and kiwi preserves - and am waiting for the mixtures to cool to see what the consistency will be like. And @acs, the plain granulated sugar dissolved completely with the juice from the fruit.

Considering the growing interest, this sounds like a great experiment and blog post to pursue! In the meantime, I am playing with recipes that I find online myself.

If YOU decide to experiment, let us know how it goes! We’d love to hear!

2 Likes

I wasn’t completely clear, I was asking if you experienced a top to bottom difference in consistency or striation / layering due to settling during the sv cooking process vs the traditional methods where everything is stirred during the cooking process.

I make jams, preserves, pickles, and jarred tomatoes frequently. These are not pressure cooked after canning, but a low simmer water bath. I don’t want to cook these foods sous vide. I want to do my equipment sterilizing and water bath with my Precision Cooker. Is this possible at 211.5?
The Blueberry-Lemon Compote is sublime on vanilla ice cream. I think it would make a cheesecake cry.