Creme Brulee in a bag...

I have tried 2 times to make the Creme Brulee in a bag method. The first time was semi curdled and the 2nd time it turned out like a Creme Anglaise. Both times I cooked at 80 degrees celsius for an hour.
The mixture was 9 egg yolks,90 grams sugar, 600 mls thickened cream and a few teaspoons vanilla paste. I am thinking this method is flawed and the mason jar method applies better to sous vide…any thoughts or experiences from people who have had traditionally cooked [quote=“DMW, post:1, topic:322, full:true”]
I’ve been wanting to try Creme Brulee for some time, got a kitchen torch and all, but never got around to it. Got my Anova Precision Cooker a couple months back and just recently saw the SV Creme Brulee on Chef’s Steps.

So today was the day.

Measured out 600g of egg yolk and the requisite sugar and salt:

Warmed the heavy cream and tempered it in the egg/sugar/salt mixture:

After the bubbles had cleared I filled the jars and got everything organized:

And in the bath:

They just went in the ice bath to chill:

This was my first time using the Anova at higher temps, the highest I’ve used it for before was 149* F for chicken breasts. This was a 12qt round cambro that started out with 125* F tap water. It was taking a long time to get up to temp, so I added some almost boiling water from the tea kettle to help it get there. At first I did not have it covered and it was struggling. Once I covered it with plastic cling wrap, it worked like a champ. I think I’m going to get an extra lid for my cambro and cut an opening for the Anova.

These are going to be bruleed and served tomorrow for Superbowl. I’ll report back with results then.
[/quote]

creme brulees?

I think I’m missing something. Both the original recipe and the individual who tried it out both use jars. You indicate that you tried using the bag method. I don’t see any bag method indicated in either of the two sources. Or is this something you came up with on your own?

There are a couple of recipes in the Anova app that use the cook in bag and decant method. I’ve not attempted it myself. The jars are just so much simpler to deal with.

I don’t recommend it…It won’t set. I will give the mason jar method a chance as it seems more likely to work.

When I made this post, I was hoping it would make it a separate topic. Somehow it attached it to this guy’s post. Sorry.

Nice post buddy. I think everyone should try how to cook.

I’ve made Creme brûlée a bunch of times but I use the small flat Mason jars typically used for jams. Never had a problem and the great thing is you can prepare them ahead of time (day before the meal) and keep in the fridge. When it’s time to serve, you just sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar on each one and torch away! Always a big hit!!

1 Like

Hi Nestor-
They probably work well in jars, but my two attempts in a bag have lead me to using the traditional oven method to fix them up so they would set.
I am going to buy some mason jars and I am sure they will work then as the atmosphere in jars will be better for gelling than a bag that moves around or is shaken…

Hi @Russell-the-Chef

I definitely recommend using the jars. Sous vide Creme Brulee in the small mason jars is so easy that it was the 3rd cook I did with my Anova. Came out perfect that time and has been perfect several times after as well!

Good luck!

These are the type I use for the creme brûlée

Redirect Notice

I’m buying mason jars this week. I have given up on the bag method as it failed 2x, but believe it would set in the jars…something about the bag method just doesn’t work.

There are two kinds of custard. One that must be stirred and one that must not be stirred.

If the recipe calls for the custard to be cooked in a pan on the stove and stirred, putting in a bag and letting the circulating water “massage” should work.

A custard like crème brulee that is traditionally cooked in an oven should do well in a jar. Flan is fantastic.

If you use Mason jars, buy the plastic jar caps, they come in boxes of 6 and they can withstand the dishwasher, so no problem using them with the Anova, it will prevent you from buying regular lids over & over.Here is a link:

Maybe I missed it but the one thing I don’t see in this is what the temp of the creme brulee was when you stopped cooking. The egg yolks set between 149°F-158°F (65°C-70°C).

Looking at the photos, I suggest insulating your vessel. I use a silicon trivet under and a towel wrapped around mine.

An accurate thermometer (Thermapen) is an important tool both to make sure that your cooker and your recipe are going to work.

Usually I put my food in when I turn the cooker on and let the food come to temp with the water. I haven’t cooked anything in an open container, I always bag it, so I don’t know if evaporation is an issue but I doubt it.