Careful with oven cleaner.

Although the cleaning instructions mentioned cleaning the outside of the door with a mild detergent, it made no mention about the inside. After using easy off on the interior, I was quick to notice that it had ruined (ate through) the black electroplated finish. I’m not sure if it can be corrected, but its such an eyesore now.

edit: I went back and just realized it is actually plastic!

Perhaps for v2.0 we can have the inside of the door be stainless steel?

Did the easy off work alright in the rest of the oven? I cooked meat loaf and it sure made the side walls look terrible

Yes – I’m about to try a fume-free ‘Easy Off’ in the interior.

Did it work? Is it something avoid?

I know Anova says to steam the oven for a few minutes at low temp to heat up the walls – and help the oven cleaner work with the warm interior – but they made no mention of avoiding anything (i.e., the inside door) – so this is an issue I’m especially curious about!

I think so.

I have used the EAsy Off method. My one word of warning is to avoid spraying EO in the fan area. I don’t know how to effectively clean that SS screen over the fan. I didn’t avoid it the first time and could smell EO for weeks. I avoided cooking for weeks, just steamed and used the fan to remove the smell. On the rest of the SS (stainless steel), it was great. I’d be careful around the probe cover also and avoid spraying the inside of the door (regular soapy sponge works great on the inside of the door).

Now I wipe the oven down after every use and have avoided needing a “deep clean”. Also, just FYI, I’m a nerd about keeping things clean. My pots and pans look like they could be on a shelf at the store!

2 Likes

I use baking powder, that works good enough. Another important care area would be the silicone seal at the ovens bottom. That could easily be damaged with a too strong rub.

Hi, how do you use the baking powder? Thank you

Hi ya @Red2 Welcome

There are quite a few Easy Off products, but I believe that in general their active ingredient is Sodium Hydroxide, A.K.A. Lye. Pretty harsh stuff, about the harshest in the home.

The silicone seal should be impervious to anything that you can get / use, including NaOH.

Baking Soda NaHCO3 is a cleaner - NOT Baking Powder. Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, and a gentler high pH alkaline and a gentle abrasive. Baking Powder may have baking soda in it, but with a weak acid to release the levening gas and also corn starch.

Sodium Bicarbonate is in the same group of chemicals as Sodium Carbonate ‘Washing Soda’ (high pH caution),and Sodium Percarbonate ‘Oxy Clean’ brand source of hydrogen peroxide, and disassociates in water to sodium carbonate also.

I prefer to use Sodium Percarbonate to clean not food related stuff, laundry, dentures, and so on.

I too enjoy cleaning and agree that careful cleaning after every use is the way to go. My go to for work surfaces is generic window cleaner. For sanitizing I add an ounce of liquid bleach for the sodium hypochlorite NaClO and carefully rinse food surfaces.

I bought a US$1400 Kirby Avalir 2 with my Biden Stimulus money and love it! I lived on a submarine for four years with 100 other men, and learned that one must clean continuously lest things become foul. My career was in nuclear power where cleaning is essential and radioactive contamination is invisible, learning to clean what I KNEW was there but couldn’t see.

1 Like

I think I followed the video below, without the vinegar part. Just mix some baking soda with water to a paste, brush it on, wait half an hour and clean. Thick spot can take longer, but it generally works ok.

And I use that baking soda in the orange pack from the supermarket. Nothing fancy. Not as technical as @Douglas, but it works. I couldn’t find that cleaning soda anywhere was a key reason for me.

Use sodium bicarbonate paste, or use vinegar 5% acetic acid, but not both at the same time. The fizz is not effective useful.

1 Like

Thank you; will try this tonight!

Supermarket baking soda in the orange pack is Arm & Hammer.

1 Like

Could we get an authoritative direction from Anova Culinary on how to clean oven - products? - areas to avoid (gaskets in door and bottom of oven drain etc)
Some of you have had great success with your methods, but I’d prefer the manufacturer’s recommendations

p

APO has steam available and a good hot steam soak and wipe down ought to clean all but the worst - and for that one does need a recommendation from ANOVA, and to avoid EasyOff.

The ANOVA Precision Oven Quick Start Guide has cleaning recommendations and cautions.

And there is a Cleaning Guide

The Wikipedia Cleaning Agent article

Cleaning agent - Wikipedia section Oven Cleaners discusses traditional and new agents.

Oven cleaners are some of the most toxic household cleaning products available on the market. Correct use of an oven cleaner may be reasonably safe, but incorrect use, including breathing fumes, contact with eyes and mucous membranes and swallowing can cause poisoning.

There are 46 oven cleaners listed here with their Safety Data Sheets listing the ingredients and their hazards.

https://www.whatsinproducts.com

I see that Fume Free EasyOff does not use Sodium Hydroxide Lye.