Frozen and Mahi tuna

I have two 1 1/4” Mahi tuna steaks.

First I am leery of the effect on quality of freezing, as the ice crystals puncture the cells during normal freezing. But the fishmonger was apparently happy freezing this tuna.

Has anyone learned comments on cooking from frozen and cooking from thawed tuna steaks in particular?

As to the general effect of freezing on cooking times, the Mathematical Chef Douglas Baldwin has this; A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking, Table 2.3: Approximate heating times for frozen meat to 1°F (0.5°C) less than the water bath’s temperature. (Sorry, the formatting was lost). For this case, my application, 1 1/4” ~30 mm slab like 2 1/2 hours to 1ºF less than the water bath temperature from frozen.

I’ll try that next, but tomorrow I’ll SV J. Kenji Lopez-Alt’s recipe. Tonight is box mussels heated, pasta and leftover odds and ends.

Thanks all for comments.

1 Like

Freezing and thawing should be done as fast as possible. I often sous vide from frozen, see no benefit from thawing it first.

My frozen tuna steak goes in the SV cooker this afternoon at 115ºF for 45 minutes recipe time PLUS 2 ½ hours from Baldwin’s ‘Practical Guide’ Table 2.3 for a 30 mm slab.

My tuna is looking good. Getting ready to finish it with the electric torch I wondered; are there guides to enhancing the Maillard reaction with sodium bicarbonate and / or sugar?

Is it better for some foods than others? How much? A mix or not?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I only used it on potatoes and chicken so far, but there is som info here: What is the Maillard Reaction: The Science of Food Browning
On chicken wings and potatoes it really makes a difference so I’m curious about how your tuna turns out.

Thanks for the cite with good information. My tuna was fine. I dusted the working surface with sodium bicarbonate.

Milady Wife allowed as I might use one heat range lower. I used 45” @ 115ºF plus Baldwin’s 2 ½ hours from frozen to nearly cooking temperature.

The 1ºF less is because the actual relationship is asymptotic, mathematically approaching but never reaching the final temperature. Like Zeno’s Paradox. (½)^n