funny taste

Hi we had our first experience with our PC today…I had sealed 2 tenderloin steaks 4 days ago and was going to cook them then but I got confused, thinking it would take 2 to 4 hrs. DUH.
So I put them in the fridge, and we cooked them today. We followed the guideline and cooked them at 124 for 45 minutes. I then seared them in my trusty castiron pan.
The steaks were cooked perfectly, the texture ideal.
But there was a distinct “funny” taste. In reading all the messages, I haven’t seen anyone else having this issue.
I will accept that maybe the meat turned in the 4 days they were in the fridge?
My husband is a “super taster” and can smell and taste things the normal human animal can’t. So he tasted it even more strongly than I, but I definitely tasted it.
Just wondering…
We are excited to use it again, and this time I will cook the meat the day I buy it.
Thank you!!!

Yep, I’d offer that the funny taste was that the steaks were turning bad. Hope neither of you get ill from the experience!
How did you treat the steaks before and after cooking them? (pre sear)

The 45 minutes does have me a little surprised though - how thick were they? Thinner? Maybe 3/4"?

There’s a pretty good thickness chart here, though there’s several good ones around: https://sansaire.com/cook-steak-sous-vide/

I don’t think that 124F is enough to kill bacteria and would even encourage their growth if I understand the temperature chart. If the meat was already turning bad it would make it worse.

Yep, many studies say the tipping point is 127F, but the FDA and other authorities state it as 130F (to be safe).

But, even if you cook meat that is either bad or on its way to being bad at higher temps to kill the pathogens, it won’t take meat that’s tasting “off” and make it taste better. :slight_smile: (but, it will make it safer to eat) Kinda like how wolves and many dogs have enzymes in their stomaches that allow them to eat rotten meat…you can, but would you really want to? :wink:

Also, if any toxins have actually been created, those toxins will likely survive the cooking process…so the meat would still be unsafe for consumption.

As they say “When in doubt, throw it out” :slight_smile:

Thank you, and Richard for responding to my first time experience.
It’s so nice to “belong” to such a passionate community and to have so many folks responding and helping with advice and tips.
I’m rather embarrassed in that I learned the oil I used in the pan was bad! WAH!! it wasn’t the meat, so bye bye 2 nice cuts. However, we do have two VERY happy sheep dogs, as we figured they could handle it.
As far as the 124 for 45 , I got that on the app, as I have the bluetooth model. I wanted to go for medium rare, but my husband wanted the steaks a bit shy of medium so we could contiue the cook, if needed, when they were seared. The steaks were at least an inch, or more thick. I haven’t spent enough time researching how long and at what temp because I was anxious to try our new toy.
I did read something that the temps and times you go by are in relation to steaks that are 1.5 inches thick.
I will be trying some strip steaks on Sunday, and they are 1.5 thick.
Once again, thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. I look forward to many happy meals with our PC.
Cheers!

1 Like

P.S.
The steaks WERE a bit too rare.
Even for me!!!
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Everyone and every question is welcomed here! I sometimes ask things too - we have lots of really knowledgeable peeps here. :slight_smile: @flygirl

I actually just did a couple 1.5" thick strip steaks over the last week. :slight_smile: They were a perfect medium-rare (130F at 2 hours). One I finished the sear in a blistering hot pan immediately after the sous vide cook. The other I cooled in an ice bath for 30 minutes, then finished on my electric BBQ (1 minute between flips, a total of 6 exposures - the last two I used my Searzall torch to crisp up the fatty edge). :slight_smile:

Always remember to dry off your meat before searing (paper towels - dab to preserve the crusting from the cook, wiping if you want to clean it back to the meat). You can then treat again with salt and spices if you like, pre-sear.

I didn’t entirely understand your hubby’s comment on cooking for medium rather than medium rare. You should do the sous vide cook for the level of doneness you want. You really don’t want your sear cooking the steak - that’s actually the problem with traditional methods (and how we normally get steaks much more well done at the edges. :slight_smile:

In case you haven’t read this yet (I think we point people at this guide more than any other) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect you have encountered refrigerator odors, I doubt that the meat would turn bad in 4 days, and if it did it would be obvious before it was cooked. Here’s a solution I use because I like to buy steaks and other meat in family packs for later use. I seal the meat in the cooking bag as soon as it’s in the house. It never gets exposed to the air unwrapped for any length of time. I usually add a touch of olive oil. I may also add a touch of meat tenderizer for less tender cuts. If it’s going to be a while (more than a day) before serving, I freeze them right in the cooking bag. They can go directly from the freezer to the water bath with no problem. Cooking time is a little longer depending on thickness, but I usually add 1/2 hour or less.