Garlic

I vacuum package my items for SV, often including finely sliced garlic. So, has anyone noticed that while the water doesn’t get into the package you can definitely smell the garlic in the water at the end of a 24hr cook?

Just one of those observations! LOL!

Kyle

I have noticed the same thing when smoked items are cooked sous vide.
Here is a paper on the subject:

1 Like

Thank you, John. Smoked items, for sure

Outstanding citation. I noted a number of analogies to neutron flux as diffusion. My career was in neutron mechanics, reactor physics.

Thank you.

Late in Section 6 is considered SiOx effects, I have investigated at some length the properties of polydimethylsiloxane and fluoroalkylsilane coatings, though these are silanes Si-O rather than ceramics SiOx. I use fluoroalkylsilane coating on my car, available ONLY as AquaPel glass treatment as a registered new substance of significance.

I’m not paranoid but … The food scientists over at America’s Test Kitchen, as presented in their book “Sous Vide For Everyone”, strongly recommend against using raw garlic. There are no reported cases of botulism form SV garlic but their experiments indicate the bacteria that creates that toxin occurs naturally in garlic and the environment MIGHT promote growth. They use garlic powder, crystals, or add garlic post-SV. Till other research is forthcoming, ATK’s advice is good enough for me. Your mileage and your reliable sources will be different, of course.

Clostridium botulinum and sometimes Clostridium butyricum and Clostridium baratii bacteria

1 Like

My first run was the garlic in Olive Oil. It turned out great but I did have some gastronomical issues. After a few days in the fridge I tried one again and discovered my issues were not due to the garlic.

However the next time I make this recipe I will make sure the SV is at the required temperature before introducing the garlic (as in my first attempt I just placed the garlic and OO at a lower temperature and let the SV come up to the desired temperature). Upon thinking about this I realized this might be a bad practice for any SV cooking.

Hi ya @DaveCo

This is the final paragraph of Dr. Douglas Baldwin, The Mathematical Chef and my SV guru, Practical Guide to Sous Vide section of food safety.

A few sous vide recipes use temperature and time combinations which can reduce non- proteolytic C. botulinum to a safe level; specifically, a 6 decimal reduction in non-proteolytic C. botulinum requires 520 minutes (8 hours 40 minutes) at 167°F (75°C), 75 minutes at 176°F (80°C), or 25 minutes at 185°F (85°C) (Fernández and Peck, 1999).

The food may then be stored at below 39°F (4°C) indefinitely, the minimum temperature at which B. cereus can grow (Andersson et al., 1995).

While O’Mahony et al. (2004) found that the majority of pouches after vacuum packaging had high levels of residual oxygen, this doesn’t imply that the Clostridium species – which require the absence of oxygen to grow – aren’t a problem since the interior of the food often has an absence of oxygen. Most other food pathogens are able to grow with or without oxygen. [formatted for readability]<

So the conflict here may be the differences in temperature for flavor and temperature for pasteurization. Best wishes.

Ooh need to try this.

And @Douglas Thanks for the tip to check out Dr. Douglas Baldwin’s Practical Guide to Sous Vide

Garlic and my wife’s stomach do not agree so it is one more thing I don’t use. Luckily a little garlic powder is ok.

The Anova Precision Cooker Nano cooks the garlic cloves slowly at regulated temperature to achieve a succulent texture without burning the garlic or the oil .
The confit is a French cuisine technique used to preserve fruits and tenderize tough cuts of meat such as duck.

Thanks for this information, I am very new to sous-vide cooking.

hello