Going to give Tri Tip steaks another try...

So I was watching another video with the Sous Vide Everything guys, where they compared Trip Tip to Picanha steaks.
First thing I noticed, was that when cutting the steaks from the Tri Tip roast, they cut them “with the grain”… which when I did Trip Tip steaks before, I did not. Seemed to me like it would make longer, tougher fibers that way, but now that I look at it again, cutting “with the fibers” for the steaks, you will then be making the final cuts on your plate, completely across the fibers, so this would give the final fibers the shortest length…
Also, they said they couldn’t find untrimmed Trip Tip. Im sorry, but we have it at all the stores, and its quite a bit cheaper than trimmed too.
Finally, I tried SV with Tri Steaks way back in the beginning, when I was still trying to SV them for only a few hours… Ha ! Going to do them again, for 24hrs @ 133F.

Going to be looking for sales. I have seen Untrimmed Tri Tip roasts for less than $3 a lb :wink:

Your thoughts ?

Hi Chris, You are thinking like a Chef with that final cut.

That price for Tri Tip defies understanding.
I would buy, portion, and freeze all i can get at that price, trimmed or not.
There may be a few small bit left.
That’s OK, pack with a steak and enjoy.

1 Like

Alright, so I didn’t get to cut them myself, as even the tri tip roasts (not on sale) were more than I wanted to pay. But I got a couple of tri tip steaks that looked okay.
I intended to do them @ 133F for 24 hrs… but kind of forgot about them, and they went for 30 hrs :slight_smile: Results: Eh… 7 out of 10. Decently tender. Juiciness was okay. I guess I still really prefer my Petite Sirloins (PIcanha’s) especially when I can get some that are decently marbled. Then 133F for 24 hrs. As good as it gets :wink:

Chris, 24 hours or 30 at that temperature will not make much difference.

Stay with your winners.

Yes, as soon as I realized they had gotten an extra 6 hrs, I had no concerns. I know the whole thing about having to double your times, to make a pretty big difference… so if 3 hrs is not enough, then try 6. If still not enough, try 12. If not 12, then 24… then 48…

Chris, you are one smart cook.

That doubling rule works with seasonings too. To have a noticeable change in the flavour of a seasoning you need to double the amount used in your recipe.

Untrimmed tri-tip for $3/pd is a bargain, worth grinding with some chuck for burgers. Trimmed has gotten real pricey in California, $10/pd at Costco. How do you finish your tri-tip? 133 degrees if you throw on grill or a pan to brown up after sous vide takes it to almost well done. I rarely sous vide TT as I found it is great just doing a quick marinade and throwing on the grill produces a nice tender treatment. With TT you have to change direction in cutting when you reach that almost natural split, otherwise 3/4 is against the grain and the remainder with the grain.

Any grocer with a butcher in-house (which is more than you’d expect) can get you the right cut if you explain it right. Tri-tip is a regional term.

If you want picanha you can also try asking for “top sirloin cap” of “top sirloin with the fat cap.”

And I really did get it for that “last year”… but with beef prices skyrocketing this year, not yet, and now I’m doubting it will happen again :frowning:

Welcome Robbie :slight_smile:

I tried a couple of cuts that I was told was “Picanha”… Not sure, but I think one of those was Top Round ? None of those worked out real well. Finally I started buying the Petite Sirloin cuts, and these look exactly like what the Sous Vide Everything guys always call Piranha’s. And even the low grade ones I buy, come out pretty darn good. Just had one for my breakfast about an hour ago :wink:

Hey Chris, check the latest climate reports. The hot dry summer isn’t going to help the high prices of feed crops that translate into higher beef prices, and less beef coming to market.

I’m seeing a lot more South American beef up here in the northern part of North America. You probably will too. Restaurant chains are buying container loads. They generally buy 6 months in advance, so what does that indicate?

If you see your favourite cuts on sale buy all you can. They will not be cheaper until we get a our old climate back.

Keep well.

Thank you.

When I lived in Rio de Janeiro I was friends with a chef who spoke some English. He referred to it in English as the Top Sirloin Cap. But could have easily been confused and combining the English Sirloin name that he knew with Sirloin Cap. Seems reasonable that it could be a Petite Sirloin Cap. I’ve also read it as culotte, rump cap, rump cover, and just plain old sirloin cap.

Luckily my current butcher knows the cut so I don’t have to do any of these difficult translations.

Sounds great!!