Have you recieved a functional unit?

In light of the post about defective units, I would like to see how many working units have been received, simply to see if my theory that the amount of defective units are a small part of the overall produced units(But because people are more likely to make a post about a defective unit, instead of a working unit, they get more attention, and appears to be a big problem, when they could be 1 in every 1000 units who are defective)

So!

Have you received a working unit?

I was having this same thought, however, my guess is that you won’t get an accurate picture this way. Not only are people more likely to post if they are unhappy, but I suspect the majority of people even visiting this forum are, like me, obsessively checking to see if there is any news about when they will get their device.

If they have already gotten their new product and it’s working and they are happy, they are busily off cooking and reading forums that have recipes and discussions instead of skulking around here feeling guilty that they have theirs and it’s working while everyone posting here is still waiting for resolution of a problem or shipping.

@gwendelen‌ We’re getting lots of reports of people that are very happy. Most new consumer electronics devices have an initial defect rate of about 15%. We typically perform extremely well compared to industry norms, but there are bound to be issues. On our end, we’ll take care of those issues as fast as we possibly can.

I ordered two. I have received both.

One is a gift that hasn’t been opened yet.

The other is working wonderfully except it’s 2 degrees low. I saw in another post that this is a calibration issue which can be fixed by either sending it back in or waiting for the phone app. It is not a hardship for me to set it up by 2 degrees until the phone app is released.

So, I count among the received and happy.

I was obsessively watching these forums even after receiving my Anova despite the fact it was working well. Now that I’ve had a problem and written a message to Anova Support about it, I’m still checking here pretty obsessively! I’ve not seen anyone with a similar issue to mine yet though. Still waiting (mostly) patiently for a reply from support after sending my ticket in on Nov. 9th.

“The average new electronics item has a 15% failure rate in its first 3 to 4 years.” - Squaretrade

That is in the first 3-4 YEARS, not weeks. I haven’t seen enough publically reported issues to be alarmed. Just saying.

Got the 220v black delivered to Norway today. (backer nr. 12xx) Testing it out as we speak with a single potato. (You expected a steak right?) The only issue I have, is my pot is to small to fit the carrots I made. So I really need a bigger pot. Also I would like an eta on the android app.

"The average new electronics item has a 15% failure rate in its first 3 to 4 years." - Squaretrade

That is in the first 3-4 YEARS, not weeks. I haven’t seen enough publically reported issues to be alarmed. Just saying.

15% even in 3~4 years for a kitchen appliance is atrocious. My Rex-c100 homemade cobbled up sous vide rig is going strong without issue now for 4 years.

It appears to me like a production/ramp issues. The more the early backers complain about not getting units, the more likely they’ll receive half baked units.

@eelhc‌ Yes. We didn’t say we have a 15% defect rate. Yes. The issues we’ve had are related to production / ramp. However, we’re not going to compromise on quality.

Glad to see that there still are happy customers! :slight_smile: Can’t wait to recieve mine(Wasn’t quick enough to back the kickstarter, so I ordered it through the website) Needless to say,I can’t wait!

I am glad to see that my theory is correct! :slight_smile:

I have received mine and it’s working like a champ. I’ve done steaks twice and eggs several times. I just meat glued boneless skinless chicken breasts together and they are setting up in the fridge. I’ll be scraping the fat from chicken skin I had in the freezer and glueing that to the breasts at lunchtime. Later this afternoon I’ll drop them in for dinner tonight.

It arrived just in time because we just had bitter cold weather blow in. An inside cooking toy is keeping me from freezing my fingers outside with my eggs. :wink:

I was obsessively watching these forums even after receiving my Anova despite the fact it was working well. Now that I've had a problem and written a message to Anova Support about it, I'm still checking here pretty obsessively! I've not seen anyone with a similar issue to mine yet though. Still waiting (mostly) patiently for a reply from support after sending my ticket in on Nov. 9th.

Just an update on my case, I did receive a reply this morning from Anova support so they are answering tickets albeit a bit slowly.

I just meat glued boneless skinless chicken breasts together and they are setting up in the fridge.

I had to go look up meat glue. Wow. Cool stuff, and the perfect match for sous vide, considering the cooking temp and the exposed outside stuff now being on the inside can get solved w sous vide cooking.

So, were you using it to make a particular shap, or presentation?

Got mine, made 4 meals already and working flawless. Wish it did heat up water a bit faster though but that’s not a real issue.

@gwendelen‌ I’m attempting to replicate this:

Though I didn’t brine these. I started with 4 breasts, just glued the skin on and seasoned them. They are back in the fridge for a bit and then I’ll par freeze them to set the shape before I vac seal.

Part of me is happy and the other part is concerned… mine is off by 2 degrees, slow customer service response (non yet) and no Bluetooth connectivity or windows app.

Well, you can correct the temperature, either by sending the unit in, and having them fix it, or by using the APP when it gets relased and do it yourself(Untill then, just add og subtract the two degress from the set temperature :slight_smile: )

@jetjockey54‌ Are you wanting to return your system?

@jhsdk‌ Thanks!

Yes, and I’m on my first cook (short ribs). But as someone else noted, my temp is precisely 2 degrees lower than the set temp. Don’t think this is coincidental - but I can’t recalibrate until the app comes out. No big deal, I’m adjusting my set temp. It’s remarkably quiet. So far, so good!

@jetjockey54‌ Let us know if the problem persists and if you’d like to return the unit.

@sbp, please keep us posted as well. Glad to hear things are turning out great, but we want to make sure the temperature aligns precisely.