Have you recieved a functional unit?

Received mine 2 days ago. Made medium rare hanger steak…tender and delicious. Tonight made filet minons, medium…also very tender and delicious. Have checked the water bath temp with a digital thermometer, and it is spot on. So far love it…just waiting for the iPhone app. Should be very soon.

Mine is working fine after three uses (salmon, chicken, beef).

Mine is working fine so far.

Yay! Mine just shipped! Waiting impatiently until it arrives :slight_smile:

Thought I’d chime in with my experiences too. I received my Precision Cooker on 12/26 and when unboxing it got the distinct impression that I had been sent a refurbished unit. I came to this conclusion because the screen had a bunch of scratches, and there were water stains all over the stainless steel housing. After some digging on the forums I realized that the scratches were only on the film covering the screen (I also vote for a tab to be added to the screen cover) and I’m assuming that the water stains were due to factory calibration without proper cleaning afterwards (something I think Anova should work on - calibration is obviously necessary but the unit should be thoroughly cleaned afterwards).

After getting over my initial thoughts, I plugged it in and took it for a spin. After first calibrating my home thermometer (in an ice bath) I tested the Precision Cooker calibration at both 135F and 180F (and after several hours of heating) and it was bang-on (maybe off by 0.1 F, but it’s tough to tell with any certainty without an industrial grade thermometer). I haven’t cooked in it, but I plan to in the coming days. Thus far I’m happy, but of course, it’s still early.

A bit of context might be helpful for those who are frustrated with problematic units. I’ve been sous-vide cooking for the past few years, and purchased the Precision Cooker to replace my exiting non-functioning cooker. The non-functioning cooker was purchased a few years ago and had to be replaced (under warranty) within the first year because it wasn’t able to maintain temperature (it kept applying heat even though it had exceeded the target temperature). I should mention that this wasn’t some no-name brand cooker, but was highly regarded enough that it was featured in one of the most famous sous vide cookbooks. I also have many friends who cook sous-vide and know of several chefs who use sous-vide in restaurants. Many of them have had issues with the top consumer sous-vides cookers and even industrial grade sous-vide cookers.

Furthermore, anytime you decide to be an early adopter of a new(ish) technology, you have to accept a certain amount of pain. I purchased an HDTV back in 2003 and had TONS of problems with it. This wasn’t a no-name brand TV either, but was made by the foremost manufacturer of HDTVs at the time. The problem however, was that it was fairly early days for HDTVs and there were manufacturing issues. After the TV was replaced, it hummed along very well for a number of years.

I’m not trying to apologize for Anova, as I don’t work for them and have no idea what sorts of issues they’re trying to work through, but I think some of the responses on the forums to the issues encountered have been unreasonably vitriolic.

If you have a defective unit, contact customer support. If you have a unit that’s working, enjoy it, and the amazing food it produces!

3 days, 3 dinners, all good!!

Have you received a working unit?

I have received two of them. In December I received one red 110v and one black 110v. Both are in use, and have been fine to date.

My 110V just died after maybe 5-10 uses. Waiting on support.

@davidkma‌ Checking into your return now and we will have news to you asap ! Many thanks for your understanding.

Received two in late December. One works just fine so far. Tried the other one today for the first time and it is completely dead. Sent message to support and awaiting response.

My 220V died after 3 times used. I asked for a returnform and anova was so kind to send me a new precisioncooker.
The only problem is that they put a value of 10 dollar on the package, but the customs don’t accept this value because
the real value is higher and somebody have to pay tax for it. So I don’t get my cooker before Anova take there accountability
and take care of there business. I have waiting so long and pay a lot of money to get one cooker, the only thing I have is a broken precisioncooker a headache and a empty wallet! I have tried with the customerservice to solve this problem with all kinds of contact (chat and email) but the don’t respons anymore. I think they have to be careful with there customers to let them down this way!
I hope this problem will be solved shortly so I can use my cooker or they give me my money back…

@lsmcd Our team has received your return request and is processing it - a member of our support team will follow up with you on your support ticket shortly and we’ll send a tracking number once we have it available. Thanks!

@John We’re so sorry for the delay and for the issues you’ve been experiencing with your device. We understand your frustration and would love to get you cooking sous vide as soon as possible. Our team is working to resolve the situation and will provide you with updates shortly. Please feel free to send me a message if you have any further questions or concerns.

After ordering on the website, I received my black, 110v, Anova Precision Cooker 10 days ago. Since then it has functioned flawlessly. I have cooked asparagus, corn-on-the-cob, a whole chicken (won’t do that again, should have known better), chicken breasts, chicken thighs & legs, swordfish steaks, London broil (really a chuck roast), hamburgers, pork chops, and French-style scrambled eggs. For every dish I use an 8-quart Dutch oven bottom filled with 6-7 quarts of cold tap water at 52°F.

My Cooker takes about 28 minutes to heat the tap water to 135ºF, not unreasonable to me. The foods have cooked from 20 minutes (corn-on-the-cob) to 48 hours (London broil) and the Cooker has worked well throughout.

For the longer cooking (days), I cover the Dutch oven with aluminum foil and the temperature never waived even a portion of a degree, nor did I have to add water for excess evaporation. In fact, I only lost about 1/8-inch of water over the two days.

I cook veggies at 183ºF and help the Cooker to heat the water by placing the whole thing on top of an induction cooker. With the Anova running and me watching the temperature rise carefully, I can heat the tap water from cold to 183ºF in about 4 minutes. Then I turn off the induction unit and let the Anova do the work.

As to temperature accuracy, I have compared cooking temperatures on the Anova with two Thermopens. The Thermopens agree with each other exactly and about a degree below the Anova reading. Not sure if I’ll do anything about this as yet since my results have been mostly excellent.

Best dishes so far: corn-on-the-cob, swordfish steak.
Absolute worst dish: hamburger (overcooked - my fault, flavorless, over-finished).
Second-worst dish: whole chicken (breasts done nicely, dark meat undercooked - duh!).
Truly excellent dishes: everything else.

So far, I’m very, very pleased, and anxiously await the app.