Heating water prior to cooking

Newbie and very low techie. Brand new Nano cooker, first time use. It’s taking HOURS to heat up. Trying to get temp to 150F. It’s stuck at 134. Using 12 qt Rubbermaid container with Everie “jacket” and silicone lid. Water level is about one inch above MIN mark on cooker. I took lid off for about 2 minutes and temp fell to 132. I put lid on and temp is now at 129 and still falling. I knew the cooking would take time. Didn’t know the heating would take so long. Not using blue tooth. Doesn’t want to connect for some reason. Any tips?

OK. I’m sending a Reply to myself because I can’t figure out how to delete my question. I discovered I had a perfect storm of mistakes which totally made me go in the wrong direction. Now I’ve turned on the water circulator (right word?) and the water temp is going up fantastically.

No need to bother with my original question. Thanks to those who viewed.

Glad you got it sorted.

1 Like

Thanks. I cooked a bunch of “boiled” eggs but not hard and not soft. I like them in between and they came out perfect. Also a steak which was amazing. I’m totally hooked!

1 Like

You will be hooked soon I seem to cook everything sous vide now .one for the meat and the the other for
for veg

1 Like

How long and what temperature did you do your eggs at.
I have not been able to cook soft to medium eggs
The yolks get too cooked and the whites are always too runny

Eggs can be very tricky. The white and yolk require different setting temperatures and you need very fresh eggs.

There is a good write up for sous vide eggs on the Serious Eats website.

For most proteins the rule says “temperature for doneness, time for texture.” Eggs I treat more as “temperature for the white, time for the yolk.” Others may disagree with this, but if you read the Serious Eats guide you’ll see why.

Using the very freshest eggs so that the white has not had a chance to degrade, I’ve discovered 63°C/145°F for a bit more than an hour gives me nice jellified whites and oozy yolks that have thickened enough to coat asparagus.

You’ll have to experiment to find your sweet spot.

Ember: Thanks for the link.

How do you define “fresh”? I can cook them the same day as I buy them, “fresh” from the grocery store, but how do I know they are fresh when I buy them? I buy organic from farms that have free range chickens, but I don’t know if they are any fresher than other eggs. I suppose local eggs from a farmer’s market would be the freshest.

Paris919: Sadly for both of us, I can’t find my notes on how I cooked the eggs. :frowning: I will have to start over after I check out the Serious Eats website link suggested by Ember.

I’m lucky enough that the eggs I get are only a day or two from being chicken warmed.

From the moment and egg is released from the body of the bird it starts to slowly degrade. The albumin slowly loses its texture and gets watery. Crack an egg that is only a day or two old and it will have a thick, almost jelly-like white and the yolk will stand domed and proud. At a week old there will be a portion of the white which has turned watery. As the egg ages further, more of the white will turn watery. When you crack an egg that is 2 weeks from the chicken there will be a significant amount of watery white and the yolk will often start to flatten…

Put your egg in a tall glass of cold, fresh water. A very fresh egg will lie sideways on the bottom. As the egg gets older it will stand pointy end down with the blunt end containing the sir sack upwards. Older still and it will rise gradually in the water. If an egg is floating with the broad end breaking the surface of the water it’s bad.

1 Like