High Failure Rate

True but dead Anovas make the point moot.

Hi @P_R_H
I can see where you are coming from and what you’re saying makes sense, however I’ve not had any problems at all with my Anova’s core functionally (app is another issue!). Without having experienced the repeated failures you have I don’t have the same perspective. Regarding the app being kept up to date I know that regardless of intentions companies sometimes just “disappear” (like Sansaire is in the process of doing) and sometimes they just move on to other things and stop supporting older products (I still want to kick the butt of someone at Microsoft for no longer supporting software loads to my old Windows 7 Phone! ). Fingers crossed that ChefSteps will be around for years to come!
Regarding the connection needing to be “good” - my fault for saying “good” when I should have simply said “successful”! :slight_smile: I have read where some people experience problems pairing with, or retaining connection to, their Joule. Obviously you have no connection problems with your Joule - just as I have no connection problems with my Anova. But if I ever do have problems with my Anova’s connectivity it won’t even slow me down when it comes to cooking with it.
I love the fact that the Joule is fully sealed, and that it is small yet still heats water even quicker than the Anova, and it sure seems to be a quality unit, but that reliance on the app to start/stop/set the cooker has me hesitant about it. That and the higher price! :slight_smile:
One thing I would like to see both Anova and ChefSteps do is give us access to the APIs - or better yet give SDKs - for these kitchen tools! If I were given the ability to write my own code for operating the Joule or the Anova I worry a lot less about the issues with the apps they provide us. Pet peev. :wink:

Gotcha. Yeah, the Anova Oven is a huge and sophisticated project, we need to make sure it’s everything we need it to be before it’s released into the wild. That includes lots and lots of testing. The Nano is definitely coming this year, in the in next couple of months. We announced it’ll be shipped springtime. But I totally get it. I do. Newer and shinier things are coming soon. But that’s all I can say for now. :speak_no_evil:

AlyssaWOAH:

I spent my entire working life building and manufacturing complex electromechanical products and I’m aware of how easy it is to miss a release date. I also know that when you miss by a year or two, there are consequences. One is that what was conceived to be an advanced product at the time is now two years into a product life cycle that may only be 3 or 4 years long. Announcing and pre-selling as Anova did with the Nano, deflates customer confidence but also allows your competitors know where you are going. “If” they feel its a good market opportunity they will release there own products to compete with you. This has happened and commodity circulators are now coming out of Asia in the mid $30 range.

I really hope that Anova can release a couple of great products but saying that “Newer and shinier things are coming soon. But that’s all I can say for now.” is a repeat of past claims. It’s time for Anova to stop talking and deliver.

1 Like

fischersd,

So far I have had great success with the Anova and super extended cook times. I run into some pretty good deals on larger roasts and other larger cuts of meat that for me come out very tender after 3 or 4 days of cooking. I just have a habit of doing one after another so I seldom turn it off and my cat loves to sleep on the top of the cooler I’m using as it’s warm for him while on the coolers lid.

I am happy to say that I have resolved the issue I was having with my units failing after a long cook. It was the steam that was the cause and so what I did was find a piece of high temp plexiglass and put a hole in it to slip the Anova through. I then slide the whole unit down into the mount and secure it. The plexiglass that I’m using is large enough to divert the steam away from the Anova and I’m happy to say that this has resolved my issues. I so wish I could post pictures here to show you.

1 Like

Glad to hear that it’s working out for you!! :slight_smile: You’ll be able to post pics soon enough (forget what metric they use for new users).

Cheers!!