How to sous vide hamburgers that are 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork sausage stuffing?

I normally go to the butcher and buy 1 pound of hamburger meat and 1 pound of pork sausage stuffing with spices. Mix them together, form patties and grill. I wish to sous vide them tonight and found that the “done” temps for pork are WAY higher that that for beef.

What temps are recommended for these 1/2 beef, 1/2 sausage stuffing burgers?

Me, I don’t like ground beef that has any hint of pink in it.  Certainly in North America, you’re taking your life in your hands eating ground beef any way other than well done (unless it’s a local, small butcher and he makes his own ground).

Anything beyond 130F will make your meat safe - cooked for at least an hour.  Sous Vide is a very forgiving way to cook almost any type of meat.  (you should have posted the varying temperatures that you’re looking at here, to save others from having to look them up, btw).

Chances are you can cook the combined patties at the pork recommended temperature and they’ll be fine.  (not knowing the thickness you’re doing, I’d say 90 minutes?)  Maybe 2 hours.  The longer you cook it, the more tender it will be, as the meat breaks down.  (the fat content greatly assists this, so the proteins don’t become dry).

You’re also going to want to finish these burgers either on a grill or a pan to sear them (in both cases - as hot as you can get them, to only cook the outside - the burgers already being cooked, you really only want to add to the flavour by searing the outer skin of the burgers very well).

1 Like