I'm convinced! + easy bread baking recipe

I made my first bread today in the APO and it came out great! Easy peasy recipe:

For 1kg dough:

• 600g flour (not wholegrain, a better all purpose flour)
  • 390g warm water
  • 12g salt
  • 0,5g live yeast (or 0,17g dry yeast)

Prepare the dough:

1. mix the yeast with 90g of the warm water
  2. mix the salt with the rest of the water (300g) and let it dissolve
  3. Add the salt water to a bowl. Then add the flour and at last add the yeast mix
  4. Do it like me and mix and knead it with your hands :smiley: until the dough it elastic. This takes about 10 min by hand
  5. shape it to a ball, put it in a container and let it rest covered at room temperature (18-20Ā°C in my case)
  6. After about 8 and 16h stretch an fold the dough a few times, form a ball again and let it rest covered again.
  7. After at least 20h and max about 30h you should bake the dough. If you want to wait longer, thatā€™s not a problem. Just put the closed container in the fridge. It keeps usabel for about 7 days when you stretch and fold it daily.

Baking stages:

1. Put a cast iron skillet or a baking stone on a rack position 1
  2. Preheat the oven to 250Ā°C, 100% steam, rear. After the oven reaches the temperature wait for at least 10 min (cast iron) or 30 min (baking stone) to get this to a real high temperature. You donā€™t need a timer as the oven counts up the time after reaching the set temperature.
  3. In the meantime, take out your dough and put it on a well floured counter top. do a last stretch an fold by folding the outside of the dough to the middle and get a tension on the under side. Then turn it around and push the dough on the under side to the middle to get more tension. (In German we call that ā€œrund wirkenā€ but I couldnā€™t find a translation for that)
  4. Let the dough rest until the oven is preheated.
  5. Take a very sharp knife or a razor blade and make 1 long straight cut about 1cm deep into the dough and shove it in the oven immediately. set the timer to 20min.
  6. Open the oven, rotate the bread to let the backside come to front, close it and turn the temperature down to 210Ā°C with 0 steam. set the timer to 15min.
  7. Take the bread out and let it cool down completely on a rack.

This is a basic yeast bread recipe. I hope youā€™ll enjoy it just like me. APO bread yeah! And well, Iā€™m convinced to keep the oven. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ohhhhh we love to hear that! Hereā€™s to many more!

Thank you so much for this recipe! It will be one of the 1st that I try when my oven arrives. I have a small question: I understand the need to be quick about putting the dough in the oven so, what do you use to transfer the dough from your counter to the oven? Parchment paper would burn, I assume.
Thanks again for sharing your recipe!

Hi Ageeky, JK might just use his hands or a cornmeal dusted peel to transfer the dough.

This cook uses a similar bread recipe with greater hydration. I do the final shaping and resting on a sheet of parchment and then plop the parchment with dough into a hot cast pan.

Using a hot pad i give the pan a few quick shakes to get the dough comfortably settled. The parchment shouldnā€™t burn as the oven temperature is a little below that point, however it will toast at that temperature.

And your Likes are appreciated, thank you.

1 Like

Hi there! I have a simple pizza shovel, well flowered with flour or semolina. I pay attention, that the front part of the shovel is well covered. for that, you can push the flour in the wood as this fills the tiny gaps and grooves of the wood. but also on a metal shovel, flour works as an anti friction coat as the dough may stick to the shovel. give it a gentle push and the dough should glide right off the shovel.

you can also use parchment paper but the oven is a bit smaller than standard ovens so you might not have the room for your hands.

i tried some more recipes, with a pre-dough made from whole grain flour, one with buttermilk and one with a bit of rye. if I find the time, I will write down some more recipes.

tell me please, how your bread turned out!

1 Like

Thank you for your additional details JK.

In North America that shovel is comonly called a bakerā€™s peel.

Your recipes will always be welcome.

Keep well.

1 Like