Is there a guide on cooking with the temp probe?

Hello,

I recently did a cook session where I was looking not to exceed an internal temp of 190°F using the probe. I set the APO oven temp to 250°F and the probe to 190°F (no sous vide, 0% hum), let the oven come to temp and added my item. I watched the internal temp rise to my target temp and continue past it which was not what I was expecting.

In my mind cooking to probe temp, should have lead to the oven dropping the heating temp at or on approach to internal target but this was not what happened. I was expecting that the APO would hold the dish to the internal temp until I stop the session.

Maybe I am thinking about this incorrectly.

Is there a guild on how the APO is used when cooking to a probe target?

Can one use the probe target as trigger to progress to a following cook stage?

Thanks

Hey hey! In your case, since the oven is at 250F, once your food hits 190F it needs either 1) removed from the oven to prevent overcooking or 2) a stage set in the app that will lower the oven to your desired temperature for holding (which sounds like what you want!)

The oven will definitely perform as you want, you just need to program the stages in the app for the cook.

So for instance, you can set the Oven in Stage 1 to 250F/0% steam with a probe target of 190F, and then set stage 2 to trigger once 190F probe target has been reached, and you can set that stage to a lower temperature with some humidity (165F/100% rear element is a good starting spot!) to hold your food until you are ready to eat!

We’re happy to help get you set up for success!

1 Like

Thanks the response. This is what I needed. Will give the this a go.

It’s also worth noting that the thing with the probe in it will continue to heat up and cook after you turn the oven off, partly because the oven is still quite a bit hotter than your target, and partly because the outer portion of your meal is hotter than the center where your probe is, and heat likes to level itself.

@chatnoir may have a table on internal temps vs final temps at cooking temps, but, in the short term, I would do some very rough math: I’d set the probe target temp to 150, and add a second stage to the cook that drops the cooking temp to 190 when the probe hits 150.

1 Like

All good points.

In my cases 190F was lower than the actual target as I was expecting residual cooking to occur but was not quite ready. Will experiment more with the multi-stage cooks.

Sounds great! Let us know how it goes!

Hey Joe, there’s no table that i know of other than the one between my ears, aka experience. The reason is there are many cooking temperature, product mass differences, and after cook variables that affect final internal temperature.

Consider the many variables that will impact carry-over temperature rise. For example, standing rib roasts (with bones) will experience as much as 10F carry over temperature increase when cooked at 325F. (Something i wouldn’t recommend.) A similarly cooked boneless rib roast may only experience a 5F rise in internal temperature while standing. Covering a cooked roast will also result in an added degree or 2F of temperature rise.

Of course there’s no such thing as carry over temperature rise with SV cooking as being done means the meat has achieved temperature equilibrium at the target temperature.

Kiboko, it mostly comes down to learning by experience based on your preferred cooking techniques. That’s why some Community members keep detailed cooking records that enable precisely reproducible satisfying results every time. The essential tool in every competent cook’s kit is an instant read thermometer to ensure accurate record keeping.

Do the work and you’ll do exceptionally well.

2 Likes

I agree. Really trial and error and the cost/benefit of doing “fast sous vide” (with a higher oven temperature than the meat target temp) vs “traditional sous vide” (with oven temp matching target temp).

Personally I tend to stick to traditional although if it’s a big piece of meat I may increase it initially just to speed it up. E.g. a large “cattlemans cutlet” with a target of 53 I would start the oven at 60 until 40 reached then drop the oven to 53. I think the suggestions in the app allow too much carry over, at least in my experience.

Hi Tony, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish by your fast sous vide cooking.

Originally SV restaurant cooking always used higher cooking temperatures with close internal monitoring. To gain improved control the concept of target temperature cooking became widespread and eliminated the need for constant internal monitoring.

If you want to give trial and error a try, consider slowing your SV cooking by doing the opposite to fast. Start below your target, say 35C to 40C, for an hour then adjust cooking temperature higher to your target. The advantage of slower sous vide is your steak/cutlet gains tenderness from being longer at the temperature where enzymes are more active but below their thermal death point. You might like the result of the artificial aging the technique provides.

For the sake of food safety this slow or staged technique is not to be used for cuts of meat that require cooking times greater than 2 or 3 hours.