Just finished my Chuck Roast

And it came out really good, SV’d for 36 hrs at 138 (kind of an in between temp for most SV’ers I think)
In fact, if I were to change the time or temp, I wouldn’t even know what direction ? It was really tender, but not mushy at all. Actually, there were sections (you know how Chuck will have several sections divided by fat ?) that were a little softer / more tender than I’d prefer, but other parts that were just right ? How could you make it cook more uniformly ?

Doneness was just about perfect too.

Oh, we marinaded this one for about 8 hrs prior to SV, in Worcestershire sauce, and only seasoned with black pepper and garlic powder.

In any case, as good as this was, I think I prefer Tri Tip, which tasted more like steak.

2 Likes

Hey, I really like the looks of the maillard you got on your chuck nice color. The Problem with Chuck is that this shoulder an neck Have so many different muscles some are just gonna be tougher when others plus all the gristle and fat. It’s not a uniformed piece of meat Muscle like Top round sirloin New York rib eye tenderloin. Chuck comes from the shoulder this holds up the biggest part of the cow. Just make sure when you Sous vide You have all the air out of the bags and good circulation Top and bottom. Then when you serve it slides the whole roast at a angle across the grain of the roast. Chef Blake

Thank you. Yes, exactly, and that was really the only downside with the Chuck roast. I think for close to the same price, my choice is going to be Tri Tip most of the time. Did another Tri Tip tonight, for 20 hrs at 136 F and it came out fantastic :slightly_smiling_face:

Again great char a this is more my color of meat. Note on Tri tip that the meat has two grain of meat running different directions. You have to slice part of the Tri tip about halfway One Direction then turning the Tri tip slicing the final grain direction. Chef Blake

I’m going to be doing a London broil which is Top round fairly tough piece of meat for Labor Day 131°F @ 18-24hrs using a marinade SV Instead of dry seasoning. Finishing by placing steak on hot per oil grate on charcoal chimney and sear for one-two minute per side using lump charcoal. Marinade:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregan
Chef Blake

Note: fish sauce is a glutamate flavor enhancer

Sounds good. Anxious to to hear how that comes out. I think I’m going to stay away from raw garlic in a SV, as it doesn’t really get cooked… And I don’t like the flavor of raw garlic. But I do use a bunch of granulated garlic in my SV bag :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, you are very right thanks. You can mic. it in the microwave oven for 20 seconds that will kill the acid that makes that bitty taste of uncooked raw garlic that a lot people do not like about garlic. I do a lot in making spreads with garlic. Blake

Excellent tip. I might try that. BTW, even raw onions are too much for me… but just for the heck of it, a while back I took a little nibble of raw garlic just to see, and Holy #%% ! That was freaking gnarly ! Hard to believe that could taste so good when cooked !

LOL. Hang around with me in a kitchen I have a few. One I love with garlic is wrap a whole head in aluminium foil put it on the BBQ roast it on the low side 20-30 min it some what soft cut the top of the garlic head and squeeze the roasted garlic out on toasted homemade sourdough oh, just the greatest. Be careful not to burn it. Roasted garlic in red mashed potatoes. c.b.

Welp, mine def’ is not finished :joy: I bought a cut called “Chuck” but… I can recall cooking chuck in a pot, with broth for 3-4 hours and it was tender. I’ve been cooking this at 135F for 24hours (so far) and took it out to try it… It was NOT tender (IMO)… I put it back in for another 3 hours at 137F as the original recipe I was following did say 27hrs (at 135F)… I will try again after 27hrs – hearing you say 36hours is probably more inline with what I just sampled… Noooo, buddy, it is not ready after 24hrs at 135F (btw, it’s about 3.25lbs)

Hi Miya, that another 3 hours wouldn’t make any perceptible difference at 135F. The problem is that all chuck is not created equal as Chef Blake explained.

This cook typically uses a factor of 2 when adjusting SV recipes. Thus an unsatisfactory cook time of 24 hours becomes 48 hours for the same cut of chuck. When employing long SV cook times remember to check the water level occasionally as evaporation occurs even at low temperatures.

Totally agree!

Water levels? :grin: There seems to be plenty of water in the bottom of the oven. I didn’t think I needed water in pan of the Chuck while in the APO. Hmmmm. I guess cooking it in a stew (which I ended up doing) is the only good alternative.

My mistake Miya. With those long cook times i was thinking real sous vide and not oven cooking.

Don’t give up.
Maybe someone here with more APO experience than me will step up and assist you.

You will need to use an oven proof cooking bag with long cooks in SV oven mode.

When buying Chuck buy the best quality you can from the part close to the Rib section of the Front Quarter. Look for cut with the name Top Blade, Inside Blade, or Flat Iron. They will be much more tender than cuts from the shoulder.

Thanks! I will try a bag next time - wondering if the bag will prevent the 100% steam in APO from being effective … I have some bags but have never used. I generally just default to Rib (steak/eye) but with these price increases, I am attempting to learn preparing other cuts in ways I have not before. Appreciate your input!

Ok, you’re using the APO, not easy to guess.
Still, if 24 h is not enough, 3 h more is not likely to make any noticeable difference so Chatnoir’s comment is still valid.
In the APO it’s recommended to use a bag if you’re cooking for more than ca 24 h, some drying out will take place even at 100% humidity and since you’re cooking in air there is oxygen present so oxidation can be a concern.
If you’re using bags you can use the same bags you use for ordinary sous vide and you have to remove the air just like in ordinary sous vide. Run at 100% humidity and in sv mode.

Miya, think about what your oven does. It transfers heat to food.

The moist air conducts more heat than dry air to your food, thus being more effective. Just be sure to evacuate all the air possible from the cooking bag because air is an effective insulation. You want the circulating hot, moist air to be in close contact with your food.

Try substituting a Blade Roast or Top Sirloin Roast for your rib cuts. I think you will be pleased. At low temperatures they will require significantly longer cooking times.

Will def try these other cuts next time I need a larger roast. And the bag technique. Thanks again!