Add another 24 hours for a chuck roast...?

On Sunday, I put my chuck roast (2" thick) into the water bath for a 24 hour cook at 131*. I wrapped foil over the top, and put an insulated blanket around the container to prevent evaporation, and possible heat loss, as my set up is by a window, and it was to get cool that night.
24 hours later (2:00 pm) I removed the meat from it’s water bath and put it in the fridge. I didn’t sear the roast, as it was going into a stew.
With my veggies simmering in the pot with my homemade beef bone broth, I decided to check out the roast.
It was a nice medium rare, but chewy. So I cut it into chunks and added it to the stew. The stew cooked 2 more hours, and that saved it. It was no longer med-rare, of course.
I’m wondering if 24 more hours would have helped out with the roast coming out nice and tender. I won’t go with just another 12 hours of cooktime as I’m not getting up at 1:00 am to deal with the roast, lol. Any thoughts?

Jen, - more time, always more tender. It has been my experience that about 24 hours is long enough for tender results, but what’s tender in your chuck roast and in mine may vary considerably. Of course 24 hours longer would have produce more tender results.

However, like most things in life, - it really all depends. There are many cuts of beef that qualify for the appellation “chuck”, and they most certainly are not all created equal. I adise you to avoid things like bottom blade and the cuts from the shoulder and get cuts from as close as possible to the rib section. I look for solid whole-muscle pieces that slice and present nicely.

Also, as the names used varies by store and by region, ask the butchers for their advice.

When making a stew, or most often a braise, i will pre-sear the meat, then vacuum package it, then SV cook to enhance flavour development. Try it to get a more tasty outcome. I brown the aromatics in the same pan as i seared the meat to capture all the flavour possible.

Happy cooking.

1 Like

Hi chatnoir, thanks for your response. I had thought about searing the meat first, wasn’t sure if it would work out. I roasted onions and carrot chunks in the oven with a little olive oil rubbed on, and salt and peppered. The rest of the veggies were cubed turnips and whole radishes. Wish I had thought of mushrooms…
Thank you for your advice on cuts of meat. You’re very well informed, I jot down your advice in my journal.

1 Like

Hi, searing the meat and sautéing the mushroom and onion etc always helps. This browning develops flavours and colour due to a natural mallard reaction that only occurs at these higher heat with a reaction between the amino acids (protein) and sugars. This then produces natural msg and ribonucleotides which gives the rich umami flavours. John

Hello, menziesja. thanks for your reply, next time I do a roast I’ll be sure to sear first. I’m new to this way of cooking, and always appreciate the advice. Are you adding the sauted vegs in with the roast before sealing?

1 Like

Jen, Menziesja appears to be missing in action so i will respond.

Yes, vacuum package the seasoned and seared meat with just the roasted or sautéed vegetables. After cooking strain the contents of the cooking bag and discard the now-tatesless vegetables. Simmer and strain the cooking fluids to make a sauce or stew with fresh vegetables for enhanced flavour and texture.

Thanks for standing in, chatnoir. Sounds good!

just did a bottom blade chuck roast about 2 1/2 " thick for 24 hrs at 131Deg. turned out amazingingly tasty ad tender, unseared. don’t think all cuts though named the same are equal in everything. Age of animal for instance. while I think 24 hrsis agood point of reference, it obviously may end up that a little longer might be better. Dont know that 48 hrs is the answer but I AM sure that it will be more tender. perhaps start with an increase of 25% - 6 hrs. good luck, it’ll all come to you in time with practise

Thanks, Hammer088
I got one in the water right now, it’s almost at the end of it’s 48 hour cook, at 133f. It’s for another braise.