Lost power about 8 hours into cooking cubed beef for chili

Following a 48 hour recipe for cooking seasoned beef cubes for chili, our power went out 8 hours into the cooking process. I quick-iced the bags and want to finish cooking today (the power came back on after we went to bed). Is there a problem with resuming the cooking process? Will it adversely affect the meat consistency, create toughness? I’d hate to lose 4 bags of seasoned meat…

If you were cooking at any temp above 131F, then bacteria should have been killed off many hours before the power went out. At temps less than that, down to 126F, it depends.

Assuming you are in the clear there, then you should have no issues restarting the cook. I can’t honestly say what it will do, if anything at all, to the consistency or tenderness, Probably nothing that anyone would notice.

1 Like

Thanks for responding; I was cooking it at 140F before the power went off; put the bags of meat in ice and the following morning I went ahead and got the pot/Anova up and running again, cooked it until last night (so a total of around 41 hrs, vs the 48 the recipe called for). Perfection! And I believe this contributed to the best Chile EVER…even though we broke all kinds of “authentic chili rules” as far as ingredients used :wink:

1 Like

That’s excellent. Glad to hear it all worked out.

1 Like