Max water bath volume

What is the maximum water bath volume this thing can control?

Which particular “Thing” did you have in mind?

Suggested volume for the 800w Bluetooth version is 5 gallons

Suggested volume for the 900w Wifi version is 5.5 gallons.

However, neither response is difinitive as the heating can be supported by using an insulated vessel for the cooking bath and using preheated water for filling the bath so that the strain put on the Anova’s heating element is minimal. The greatest power consumption for the unit is in heating a large water bath from ambient temperature.

There is also a limit to how much water the Anova’s impeller can actually circulate. This too would vary by shape of the cooking vessel as well as volume, but would probably take someone versed in liquid dynamics to calculate accurately.

1 Like

Ember nailed it. I use the 900 watt Anova WiFi version. The more water the more work for the precision cooker, right? Not necessarily. Do you fill your container using hot water or cold? Container, water temp, everything changes what it takes for the cook. I have monitored my cooks with a TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug that measures the electricity. When I am using four to five gallons of water in a Coleman Stacker Cooler, I have used less electricity than when cooking at the same temp in a 3 gallon countertop container.

Thank you. I have the 900 watt thing, Anova. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the feedback. I did find the information about the stacker. I will pick one up today.

That’s an interesting result, SouthernDad. Coolers appear to be the best container choice for sous vide cookers. Following your recommendation I got the partystacker for large cooks, but I’m also getting the Coleman 16 quart excursion cooler for smaller jobs.

Wait! Before you buy… If you get the 24 Can Coleman Party Stacker and the 48 Can Coleman Party Stacker they have the same lid. Why is this important? Because you can use the bigger one for larger cooks, the smaller one for smaller cooks, AND still use them as coolers if you want. The 24 can one can be operated with 3 gallons to 5 gallons which puts it in that 16 quart range, fine.

And it is about $16 and $22 on Amazon for them.

PLUS… just drill a hole in one of the lids and it will fit either. thus you have a sealed cooler lid for the brewskis at the lake!

Thanks for the additional info. I ordered both the 24 can and the 48 can cooler today…

Has anyone tried cutting the lid into 2 pieces? One section to house the Anova and remain on the cooler. Another larger section that could be used as a loading and unloading side. This way when the larger section of the lid is removed the Anova can remain running.

I have seen someone do it. I think it is on one of the cooler conversion threads here, but it might have been on Facebook. There are so many things to keep watch on that I go a little cross-eyed at times. :laughing:

I have seen examples of this being done but I just do not open my Anova that much once I have the cook going on.

I too have seen this and I’m trying to find it! I think I’ve seen it in the Facebook group.

1 Like

Is there a recommendation for the placement of the Anova device? I saw a pic with it on the far end. If I am trying to SV 4-5 boneless leg of lamb roasts…would I get better circulation if the device was centered on the cooler?

i’ve seen that as well, though i am not sure if in the Facebook Group. if you find it, please update! thanks!

You may nominally better water flow throughout your vessel if you have it set up in the middle, however, due to the fact that you’re dealing with a relatively small enclosure (no more than 5 gallons) it’s not going to make very much of a difference. It’s definately more convenient, placing it along the edge of the container, because it keeps out of the way for product, especially if you have a large cut: rack of ribs, leg of lamb, full pork butt, etc.