NY Strip

Still practicing. This is (was) a NY Strip. Almost 21 ounces. 1.5 inches thick. Cooked at 135°F from frozen for 3 hours… maybe a little longer. I seared it in a Lodge CI skillet. Added a couple of strips of BACON!!! and a little asiago cheese (heated/seared the bacon and cheese with my Searzall on the steak of course). Fresh ground pepper, a little kosher salt and some ground garlic and an added aromatic in the bag (which didn’t change anything taste wise as far as I could tell). 

It looks delicious. Bacon is and cheese are a nice touch.

Everything is better with bacon.

Nice ! Looks fantastic! 

But you’re forgetting something important…How was it !!

@Bill said:
Nice ! Looks fantastic! 

Well, it was so good, I went out and bought a strip roast and had them (Publix) cut it into 4 strips. They’ve been packaged up and are ready to dunk! The steak was delicious… as good as they get. I’ve seared steaks on a very hot charcoal grill recently and find that the “crust” is tops, but when you haven’t fired the grill up, a cast iron skill is excellent.  What I’m looking for is a stand alone searing station, preferably for indoor use. A propane unit could get you to 3000°F, like the Searzall but it would be much faster.  The Searzall I am keeping. Very handy when doing add-ons like bacon and cheese. I also would like a very good compound butter “recipe” if someone would be so kind! 

Looks scrumtious

Hi there, depends on how much effort you’re willing to go to for your compound butter, but my favourite is a version of Montpellier Butter. Recipe below.

2 TBSP flat parsley leaves, 2 TBSP chives, 1 TBSP tarragon, 2 shallots - chopped, 2 gherkins, chopped, 4 anchovy fillets, 1 TBSP capers, 1 clove garlic - chopped, 1/2 TSP salt, 1/2 TSP pepper, 1/4 TSP cayenne (smoked paprika is an excellent substitute if you don’t want the heat and adds a great aroma), 2 hard boiled egg yolks, 2 raw egg yolks, 220g (8 oz) unsalted butter - room temp, 1 TSP white wine vinegar.

Blanch fresh herbs in boiling water for 1 min, refresh immediately under cold water & gently squeeze dry.
Add herbs to food processor with everything except the egg yolks, butter & vinegar. Puree to a smooth paste
Add egg yolks & butter. Pulse several times until combined but do not overwork the mixture.
Add vinegar, pulse again briefly to combine & adjust seasoning if necessary.
Scrape out into a rough line on a large piece of cling wrap, roll one edge of the cling wrap over the butter to lightly seal, then continue to roll into a rough sausage shape. Twist ends of cling wrap to seal the ends, then holding it by the ends continue rolling on your bench to compress the butter into a nice cylinder shape. The end result should look like a really long boiled sweet in it’s wrapper. Refrigerate until completely firm.
When ready to serve, just slice discs off the roll, remove the plastic wrap from the discs and place on top of your hot steak to melt.

Hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

@Sam said:

Bill said:
Nice ! Looks fantastic! 

Well, it was so good, I went out and bought a strip roast and had them (Publix) cut it into 4 strips. They’ve been packaged up and are ready to dunk! The steak was delicious… as good as they get. I’ve seared steaks on a very hot charcoal grill recently and find that the “crust” is tops, but when you haven’t fired the grill up, a cast iron skill is excellent.  What I’m looking for is a stand alone searing station, preferably for indoor use. A propane unit could get you to 3000°F, like the Searzall but it would be much faster.  The Searzall I am keeping. Very handy when doing add-ons like bacon and cheese. I also would like a very good compound butter “recipe” if someone would be so kind! 

+1 for an indoor searing station.  Hoping the BBQ manufacturer’s take a cue and make some available real soon!  (I messaged Broil King on this topic just a bit ago - they also make the Weber BBQ’s).  Here’s hoping!

This are crispy and tasty, and the best cure for a hang over.