Pork loin, plz help with my second attempt

Okay well, I have two more tenderloins roasts to experiment with, so I will brine the next one and see how it goes. Going to trim the fat shoulder on the next one too, as that just basically fell off with the SV’ing anyway, and took the seasonings with it.

I had read “as little as” 90min… and was considering everything. What would you go with for a 2 3/4lb, just shy of 3" thick pork loin roast ???

There appears to be an increasing amount of misinformation available on SV cooking. Select your resources carefully.

Some cooks find it useful to print Douglas Baldwin’s Heating Times from Table 2.2 in his epic work and tape it to the back of a kitchen cabinet door as a convenient guide to thermal diffusion. Before using it some folks need to be reminded that 25 mm equates to an inch of thickness. Weight doesn’t matter, just thickness, - and shape. A full half boneless pork loin will cook in the same time as your smaller roast.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

You’ll discover from that Table 2.2 your roast requires a minimum cooking time of about 3 1/2 hours.

If you are researching SV cooking times using “Tenderloins Roasts” and “Pork Loin Roast” interchangeably for the same meat product you will find a significant variety of cooking times recommendations because of the difference in thicknesses of the actual items.

Why not cut your roast into serving portions before you SV? If you have perhaps 4 cm slices you can Sous Vide at 62 degrees Celsius for between 1 and 1.5 hours.

Cooking in smaller pieces wouldn’t result in a more favourable outcome due to the severe flame charing employed in his technique. Check his photo, that’s an intense char.

He scores the fat cap after cooking, difficult to do with a small piece. Yes, i know, most cooks score the raw fat cap first for that appearance.

They’re different cuts, but very similar as far as leaness and muscle structure. So either way, you’re aiming for a similar sous vide temp (though cooking the loin somewhat longer because of the increased thickness). If you don’t like the tenderloin cook temps I gave you, you can refer to the Serious Eats <a href=“https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-pork-chops.html">sous vide pork chop guide, since chops come from the loin. Spoiler alert, the cook temps are pretty similar - a cook temp of around 135 to 140 is ideal, depending on your tastes.

Also, agree with others that brining can help otherwise-lean loins and tenderloins immensely for moisture and flavor.

Sous vide is a good cooking method of so many things, but not everything. I consider it a tool, and like any tool it’s perfect for what it is meant to be used for.

When I hear that someone will sous vide ribs for example I guess it’s ok to try out of curiosity but not the tool I’d use.

Ribs are meant for low and slow charcoal. 225 on a big green egg for 4 hours.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve experimented too, but just not all in on everything being cooked with one method.

Vincent, now this is an interesting reply. I agree… Kind of.

So I did those baby back ribs SV, and they were absolutely the best ribs I’ve ever cooked, or eaten. Now I wouldn’t ever consider another method of cooking.

My pork tenderloin though is another story. I’ve done it twice now, and it hasn’t been close to “great”… I’m starting to think I just won’t bother with it anymore. Especially now that I do Keto, maybe they just don’t have enough fat for me :slightly_smiling_face:

Fishchis - I think we’re on the same page.

A roast (beef, pork, whatever) needs to roasted. It actually takes less time and effort and comes out brown on the outside and perfect doneness inside with a meat thermometer.

Hey, give low & slow a shot for ribs next time and see how they compare. 225* for 4 to 4.5 hours on a grill or smoker.

I’ve done ribs in a pressure cooker too. 25 minutes and then a quick broil. Not bad but nothing compares to the low and slow grillin’ method in my opinion, but it’s good to experiment.

Now, a steak, chops, and quite a few other dishes, Sous vide all the way

Good luck with the keto. I just lost 20 lbs on keto too. It’s the way to go to shed pounds quick and easy to do (well, relatively speaking).

Happy cooking

I’d love to try that, but don’t have a temp controlled smoker or grille.

Yea’ keto is great for quick weight loss, especially combined with intermittent fasting (which I previously thought was rediculous, and for myself, impossible :blush: lol)
But I’m doing so well with it, and enjoying my food so much, that I’m really feeling like I will stick to it indefinitely. Never been so satiated in my life, and yet I’ve lost 40lbs in 3 months :slightly_smiling_face:

I do 2" - 3" thick, bone in pork loin chops at 130F for 2 - 3 hrs, followed by a sear. Prior to cooking, I give them a healthy coating of kosher salt, garlic powder, and fennel (toast the seeds, then grind) and let them sit a day or two to absorb the flavor.

Since you’ve cut your 10 lb roast into four pieces roughly 2.5 lb each, I’d recommend trying the same and see what you think.

I might try this the next time. The other two are frozen, and I’m starting pork tips tomorrow evening…
But still thinking about brining too.

To each their own, but…

Think about what you are adding with brine. Water and salt. No point adding sugar, it will not penetrate the cellular structure. The molecules are too big. Salt on the other hand penetrate. Muscle cells are designed to absorb it because the body can’t manufacture its own. The water will get in a bit too, but it will also be squeezed out during cooking, dragging other flavour compounds from the muscle with it. Pork is already a delicate flavour. Diluting that flavour is not something that you want to do. Same with chicken.

I seem to recall Kenji doing some testing on it on SeriousEats. Actually, brine is mentioned in the Guide to Sous Vide Tenderloin which was posted earlier, but Kenji went into brining further when talking turkey… The right way to brine a turkey. What holds true for turkey holds true for other meats. You do not want to be diluting the flavour.

1 Like

with my experience if its too tough it needs to be cooked longer, unless cooked at a very high temp, then just might be too done, but i don’t think i’ve ever cooked any meat above 145 and i like mine med or on the soft and juicy side, depending on the cut of meat. Good luck

Hmmm. So I read that whole article. Interesting. So it doesn’t sound like there are any really good options then for pork loin. I think I’m just about through with this cut anyway. Too lean for me.

You could try larding it, which is threading fat through it with a special tool called a larding needle.

But pork loin is one of those cuts that many professional chefs avoid. It is what it is.

Yep. Me too after I use these other two roasts.Thank you Ember.

Hi @wfeick

You mentioned cooking 2" - 3" thick, bone in pork loin chops at 130F for 2 - 3 hrs

The temp to time to thickness you mention is pretty chancy food safety wise. Personally I always try to cook to at least the minimum time to reach pasteurization based on the temp/time/thickness for whatever item I’m cooking. I’m pretty sure cooking pork based on those suggested numbers isn’t safe.

Here’s a link to Baldwin’s guide to sous vide, which provides details regarding safe sous vide cooking: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Thanks for the response, that’s good information. I’ve worked off FDA guidelines of holding at 130 for 112 minutes, but judging from Badwin’s information I’ve been underestimating how long it takes for the meat to reach 130 throughout. I’ll increase my cook time.

Cheers.

It is lean and as pointed out especially agribusiness pork. I think if you tried heritage or local pork you will be amazed.
Just about everyone has access to real meat and it is well worth the cost and time to find it.
I use this www to find local meat.
Give loin another go.
I am also in agreement with Vincent52, SV is a tool and not all uses of it are appropriate, for me. It isn’t a magic wand to make all meat great. Cook that loin, cool a bit and toss it over HOT coals to crispy that wonderful fat. Yumm
YMMV

No, but it’s close :wink: I don’t have the time, space, or $ for a nice professional smoker, or grille, and my BBQ’er is a little cheapie (really like it though)
But with SV I have cooked the best steaks, Tri Tip, Beef brisket, Ribs, both pork and beef, that I’ve ever cooked in my life… In only a few tries. Just now getting it dialed in :slightly_smiling_face:

I would like to try some locally grown pork, just to see if they have more marbling… But still, even with regular store bought beef, I find plenty of nicely marbled stuff. Whatever they fed it to make it that way is not important to me, as long as it tastes good. When I see grass fed, free range, organic, wild caught, I usually put it down immediately. Those kinds of buzz words have a negative effect on my buying.