Power Outage During Long Cook

Not where I live.

Me too. The smallest that can handle the load weighs a little over 20 kg. That’s not something I want in my kitchen.

Your mileage may vary.

There’s unlikely to be any load to speak of during the brief sort of power hit I’m describing. Certainly nothing that would require a battery weighing over 40 lbs. Once the water is up to temperature the APC spends most of its time idling. All that’s needed in most instances is to prevent the control unit from resetting.

The Anova draws 800 W. 900 W for the wifi model. That requires a UPS of 1000–1200 VA at least. They are not small, and they are not light. 20 kg is about average for these, especially if you want it to run for more than three minutes.

I have a Generac so my power outages are only going to last for a few seconds. The problem is that there is just enough time to cause my Anova to not restart the cook.

1 Like

Wow…no offense to anyone but this topic is seriously worn out. Someday…in a galaxy far far away…there will be a cooking process that is set and forget… (oops has that has that already happened in the form of a crock pot??? Til then I Will use my anova as I would use my TV. I might lose my show or I might lose my dinner. Odds are usually in my favor and I accept them. As I am not serving food commercially I will roll the bones…JMHO!

No offense taken. And…no offense to you…but just because the topic doesn’t interest you and/or you think you have no use for it doesn’t mean that it isn’t/shouldn’t be of interest to others. In fact, I’m not sure why you even bothered to click on and read it. And considering that it was only started 2 days ago I’d hardly call it “worn out”, let alone seriously so.

@whybuynew1 This comment is confusing - not sure if it meant to be on this topic. But nonetheless, someone’s just seeking help here. Let’s stick with helping.

kinzr131d
Thanks for the responses everyone. The power actually came back on within the hour so all is good. I guess the power company likes to under-promise and over-deliver when it comes to repair time estimates.

I apologize. I just had read thru 18 posts after this one and ive been under a lot of stress lately. sorry for any offense.

1 Like

I understand that stress thing, I hope you feel better.

put the chuck in the fridge. When the power comes back on, put it back in the water and continue cooking.

Just a thought - cross tying to the “should we re-implement categories” in the forum - the various solutions people suggest for how to handle power outages would make a good category. I think I experience a power outage maybe once every couple years, if that often, but there are plenty of folks who have to deal with them often. AI think an easy reference to many of the suggestions given in this thread alone would be valuable for many.

2 Likes

It happened four days ago, so I’m thinking it’s probably a bit late to try that.

If going the UPS route, keep in mind that the UPS must be able to handle the full load of the APC. That’s because power can fail while the APC has its heating element turned on; if the UPS can’t handle the full load, its overload protection will turn off the output, and you lose power regardless.

Note that this means a minimum of 1500 VA; for the wifi model, you will probably have to step up to a 2000 VA UPS. (1500 VA is around 900 W output load nominal, so a wifi model would sit right at the very limit there, and it might not work reliably.)

A typical UPS will be empty within a few minutes, so the UPS will help with brown-outs and very short interruptions, but not with extended outages. Even in a best-case scenario, a UPS probably won’t power the APC for more than half an hour.

If its somewhat cooked you can freeze it

4 days?? You should have just thrown it in the oven at high temperature for about 30 minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave it in the closed oven for 2 hours. Do not open the oven door. We don’t really need advice on power outages…we needed to save the beef.

What you really need is to go back and read the thread from the beginning. You seem to be a bit confused regarding what has happened, and to whom.

I came back here to see if I could bury this dead horse, to save it any more beating. However, it appears, even as the OP, I don’t have the ability to close the thread. Oh well, it doesn’t mean I need to watch anymore. Thanks everyone!