Quieter Vacuum Sealer

Sort of an unrelated / related question. I have a Food saver - about 10 years old - and works really well for sous vide. The problem is, when it’s removing the air and sealing, it’s really loud In order to not wake up the entire house, I took it to the basement - ran upstairs for a second - I could still hear it as if I was in the same room.

Any ideas?

Yeah…My new one sounds like a harbor freight air compressor when running. Just use it when no one is asleep I guess…

@whybuynew1 - it’s beginning to look that way or outside maybe?

One thing you might try is to place it on a folded tea towel. This will help absorb the vibrations and keep the counter/table from resonating and reduce the overall noise levels.

@KyleMW - that’s not a bad idea; I am going to give that a try. Thank you for the suggestion.

Count yourself fortunate you don’t live near an airport or railway. Folded tea towels both over and under should help, bath towels would be even better. The problem is with the case that resonates from the piston’s rapid vibrations. Putting your hands on the case will reduce the vibrations too.

More expensive brands and commercial units have sound deadening liners much like the top of the line dishwashers.

OK…here’s the answer. someone invent the exact opposite of an air compressor w/tank so that instead of being loudly charged to 100psi so you can put air in your tires, it loudly vacuums out the air in the tank to 0 psi. (Done at Noon when everyone is awake) Now you can vacuum those bags down anytime without the noise! By the way if any of you invent this and put it on “shark tank” I want my cut!

All the domestic grade vacuum sealers use a membrane pump, and membrane pumps are noisy. You can make an excellent vacuum pump with a fridge compressor, and modern fridge compressors are almost completely silent. Unfortunately, they are large, ugly, heavy, and make a vacuum that is far too strong. (Most foods would compress so they’d look like a pancake.)

I don’t know whether there is a vacuum sealer with a small compressor. If there is, it probably would be commercial grade and a lot more expensive :frowning:

@whybuynew1 @michihenning Thank you everyone for your answers - not that I wanted to spend money, but I was hoping that newer models might be a bit quieter. Sounds like that isn’t going to be the case any time soon. At least not for a product I can pick up at Costco or Walmart. But the towel idea does sound promising - thank you so much!

In my short experience with sous vide I’ve found the submersion technique is quite sufficient for meats. Veggies on the other hand are floaters so vac pump works better unless you don’t mind throwing nuts, bolts and other assorted hardware in with them.

@whybuynew1 - now that you mention it; I guess the other options is to clip the bags to the side - or find some way to suspend a bar across the opening of the pot and have the bags hanging down - sort of like the hangers with clips for pants or skirts. This would work well for veggies - or when cooking something in a sauce. Okay - does anyone know of such a thing? I guess it doesn’t have to go over the top - could sit on the bottom of the pot as well.

https://community.anovaculinary.com/uploads/anova/original/2X/e/ea78fe77da54dfd0c0c92d54d939a6fce3d2bf42.jpg
This might help. If the tubing is a bit much you could just flip the veriera upside down and pin the bags.o

@Whybuynew1 - that is certain a possibility - thank you!