What is the recommended Vacuum Sealer for sous-vide cooking?

I’m looking for a vacuum sealer for sous-vide cooking. There are a lot of choices on the market and I’m not sure which one to get. I would like an automatic one and preferably with a roll to cut bags at the length needed. I will update the pool if you suggest devices not in my list. And if it works with 220V (european electricity), it is even better.

I think the Foodsaver Gamesaver T000-33270 is worth looking at… It’s not automatic but it does store the rolls, has a stronger suction and has a limited 10 year warranty.

Thanks, I will check it out too

I also found the SousVide Vacuum Sealer SV3000 (https://www.amazon.com/SousVide-Supreme-Vacuum-Sealer-SVV-00300/dp/B00KLZLDMS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=anovacommunity-20&linkId=6ec3ff227ea336d166b2e9e3d8c1e76c - $120) that works 110V-240V.

They claim to be the first Vacuum Sealer especially made for sous vide cooking.

Anyone tried it?

@Steve I’ve had an earlier model of a foodsaver for many years and it still functions great and I wouldn’t be without one, however, I was completely grossed out at how poultry juices etc. collected in the vacuuming canal and it could not be removed for cleaning or placed in the dishwasher… It was really nasty to clean and looked most unsanitary.

Most of the new Foodsavers now have a removable drip tray… I wouldn’t consider any kind of vacuum sealer that doesn’t have this feature.

Also, regarding manual vs automatic. One of the drawbacks of an automatic is you wind up wasting more inches of the bag getting a seal than you do with a manual. If this is going to get extensive use, it may be an issue worth considering…

Don’t know anything about the Sous Vide Vacuum sealers but, the company seems to be a pleasure to deal with compared to Foodsaver…Lol

Thanks for your insights!

I got the cheap Foodsaver V2244 and then modified it to keep pulling vac until I hit the Seal button. It gives me a chance to smash the bag around and get all the air bubbles out. Seems to work great…

@celltech‌ what did you do to modify your food saver? I’m wondering if I have somehow inadvertently “modified” mine because the last time I used it, I had to manually switch to seal because it seemed to just keep sucking. Is it a certain amount of pressure that triggers it? Perhaps I had a small leak in the bag or a wrinkle in the edge? I’ll have to see what happens next time.

If you open up the unit you will find the suction tube that evacuates the bag. There is a T connector going to the vacuum sensor. I simply pulled the hose off the sensor and capped it. The sensor no longer sees the vacuum and never thinks the pressure drops.

It’s possible you have a leaky connection inside the unit. They are really easy to open up and play around with. You might also have a bad gasket seal on the clamshell part. Make sure you don’t store the unit with the lock lever engaged. The seal is quite soft and can deform if left clamped all the time.

Thanks @celltech‌ . That seems like it should be pretty easy. I’ll play around with it this weekend.

I have something similar to the V2244. It works very well for me, although I find it a bit time-consuming to seal more than a few bags. Recently, I’ve been saving money and time by just using zip-loc bags. I started doing this after using the cookbook Modernist Cuisine at home which recommends just using zip-locs for most of its recipes. The zip-locs are faster, and I usually just do the water-sealing technique directly in the sous-vide water. Maybe you already know this (and I’m not suggesting that you do not get a vacuum sealer … they are very useful at times). I’ve just been personally very happy using zip-locs almost exclusively.

1 Like

America’s Test Kitchen likes:
Highly Recommended - Winner Weston Professional Advantage Vacuum Sealer
This compact, powerful heat-sealing model kept food fresh for three months and counting. Its intuitive interface has a responsive pulse mode and bright blue lights that indicate its progress. It works with a wide variety of bags, canisters, and rolls that were the cheapest of any sealer in our lineup. Easy to Use ★★★ Performance ★★★ $189.99”

Both technologies (Ziploc bags and vacuum sealers) work very well for sous vide, and the vacuum sealer is not really necessary at all. Ziplocs have the added benefit of being able to be opened and re-sealed during cooking if you want to test doneness or add spices or seasonings. That said I bought the ATK-recommended Weston sealer and couldn’t be more pleased. In addition to sous vide, vacuum sealing really gets the air out and food stays fresher longer in the refrigerator and doesn’t burn in the freezer regardless of how it is ultimately cooked. In summary, Ziplocs work very well and are sufficient for sous vide but if you could benefit from other uses for a vacuum sealer, their expense may be worth it to you.

I’ve got the Sous Vide Vacuum Sealer SV3000 -Very pleased with it for now