Rain Water

When I first started using my sous vide, I used tap water in the pan/water bath. I noticed a buildup of lime scale very quickly
I decided to switch to using rain water, which doesn’t produce lime scale.

Of course, do what you need to do. However, I would point out that rain water, sadly, is less than distilled water than one might think. With the millions of tons of air pollution produced, many of these chemicals do find there way into rain water. A college in the United States found chloride, nitrate, nitrite, sulfate, phosphate, fluoride, and bromide in rainwater collected from 31 different located in 48 states. This will vary from location to location, but rainwater will leave a minor residue in your vessel, which could potentially be detrimental to your unit, depending on the composition of the pollution in your specific area. If you want no residue, I’d go with distilled water.

Sounds like a hard water supply. Rain water will at least be softer. Just clean your APC after each use and all will be well. It’s not like the food is going straight into the water.

I use filtered rainwater, but I’m in rural Australia and that’s our water supply.

Water isn’t called the universal solvent for no reason. Distilled water will dissolve things into it, slowly. Water doesn’t stay pure for very long.

Eventually, you’ll get some lime scale build up. It’s easily removed with diluted vinegar or citric acid. Google for DYI coffee machine descaling; the same thing works for the Anova.

1 Like

We have very hard water here. I just add a splash of pickling vinegar (double strength) to the water bath.

Shoot; another thing I haven’t thought about (i.e., de-scaling my APC.) As a newbie (now on my 7th cook), I’m so glad this community of users is incredibly helpful, patient and willing to share wisdon borne of experience.

We have fairly hard water here too, I use it like normal and clean the Anova a little more often. Vinegar seems to work well.

1 Like