Remove from Cooking Bag if Transporting or Leave Food in Bag?

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help. Here’s the issue - going to cook ribs for about 36 hours and then will need to transport them for about 2.5 hours back home (visiting in-laws and wife doesn’t want me to leave sous vide unattended all weekend). So…once finished cooking do I remove them from the bag or keep them in the bag? Will finish them in oven when I get home but not sure whether I should take them out of the bag and pat them dry or just leave them in. Don’t want them to get too soggy. Thanks for the help…this is dinner for the Super Bowl so I need them to be good!

1 Like

I would leave in the bag and cool them in an ice bath. After cool, pack under ice for the trip home.

Thanks. Leave as is in all of the juice from cooking or drain the bag? Appreciate your help!!!

While the bag remains sealed the food remained pasteurised, which gives them an extended safe storage time in the fridge. The juices in the bag are full of gelatin and will thicken and set.

You don’t disclose the cooking temperature so we have no idea of what kind of texture you want in your ribs. Leave as-is in the bag, chill, and transport chilled. The ribs are good for days that way.

Now i’m guessing you haven’t added any vegetables or liquids to the ribs before cooking and you have cooked them above 140F for the 36 hours. They won’t get soggy at all if you haven’t added fluids. Depending on your cooking temperature they may be very juicy if cooked that long at a low temperature. I like a bit of chew to my ribs so i cook them at 147F.

Decant the ribs just before finishing in the oven. Save the meat juices, simmer and strain, then add them to your basting sauce if you do such a thing. A little more rub on the ribs before finishing in the oven helps boost flavours too.

This was an excellent question, diwinje. It is something that I really haven’t thought about because I have not transported dinner after cooking it but I’m thinking about doing it soon. Thank you for asking it.

Great question. I was wondering the same thing and the responses really went a long way to resolving it. Thanks to all for your responses.

Dad, SV cooking greatly facilitates family BBQ get-togethers. You can gradually cook in advance all your Pulled Pork, Brisket, Ribs, Beans, even a Potato Salad, which makes cooking for a crowd so much less exhausting. Even fun.

Just heat, serve, and enjoy.