Sous vide here - finish there / ribs

I’m not exactly sure how to pose my question. So, what I want to do is as follows:

First, I want to prepare pork-ribs sous-vide, as you know it, at home (cut it, spice it, sous-vide-it for 24-48H)
Then, I want to take those ribs, transport them to my friend, and then finish them on the grill. Unfortunately the transportation takes approx . 45 Minutes (35 are spent in a rather well heated warm train or bus).
What is my best strategy now: Can I transport the ribs in a thermal box/bag right out of the water? Should I prepare them some time before, chill them and transport them cool (~0-4°C)? Should I deep freeze things first (are you serious?)?
Quick note:
It is impossible to sous-vide the ribs at my friend’s place [a)it MUST be a suprise), b) If possible, I don’t want to point out that it was “sous-vide-all-along”]

Thanks in advance for your help

Michael

Best strategy would be to cook the ribs in advance. Shock chill and put them in the fridge at least overnight. It’s much easier to transport safely in a cooler than to try to keep them warm.

When you arrive at the other end, bring them back up to temperature under the grill. They only have to get up to ‘mouth hot’ which is around 50C.

2 Likes

It depends on how much time between SV and the transportation, but I would take the bag right out of the water, leave it sealed and transport it in a grocery bag. The bacteria are all dead and 45 minutes is far under the 4 hour window for prepared food to hold before serving.

The guideline I’ve seen everywhere is two hours, not four. Once meat has been at room temperature for two hours or more it should be discarded. Yes, the contents are now pasteurized, which should lengthen their shelf-life when refrigerated, but not at room temperature.

45 minute commute…suppose it takes longer…suppose you get visiting for an hour or more before starting to cook.

Last thing you want is to risk getting anyone sick.

Take Ember’s suggestion - shock chill the ribs after your cook in an ice bath and then put them in the fridge overnight. Transport in a cooler or thermal pack (with a couple cold packs thrown in to keep the contents as cold as possible).

Cheers!