Savory mason jar recipes? Other than egg bites

Love doing stuff in my 4 & 8 oz mason jars, perfect sizing, easy to take to work & reheat. I have done several desserts & have more desserts on the to do list. I’ve done many flavors & variations on the egg bites & love them, but getting kinda burned out on them. I am looking for more savory recipes, to do in the jars. Any suggestions?

Lara, if you have no adversion to using plastic you can also combined cooked ingredients in meal-sized pouches. Select some of your favourite meal combinations. Pasteurize them for safety (refer to Baldwin, Table 4.1 on times and temps), ice bath chill, and store refrigerated or frozen. Jars get expensive, require more space, and can take longer to process if you are building much of an inventory. Flattened pouches can be effeciently stored stacked once they are frozen or safely chilled (see Baldwin, Table 1.1).

Otherwise, you need to eliminate air pockets in jarred meals. Mixtures like soups and stews, or stewps, are best in jars. Remember that most starches decline in quality when storred for long in a wet medium.

I do it all the time with mostly complete vegan meals, but meat and poultry components are just as easily used. I make large batches as a better use of time. Always date and label each item as they all tend to look the same when frozen. Flatten bags for efficient processing and cooling, never have them more than 2-inches thick. 1 1/2-inches thick or 35mm requires 2 hours processing at 140ᴼF/161ᴼC which is about the outer limit of my patience.

Thanks, I already do the mass prep, cook & freeze meal prep, both sous vide & not. I am really looking for savory small bites to go in the jars 4 & 8 oz jars. I have a ton & have more room to do more jars in my sous vide when making desserts or egg bites, so was looking for something else.

You could look at and adapt quiche recipes. They tend to be less eggy in finish than the eggbites. Chawanmushi too, although also a bit ‘egg-bitey’ offers a slight variation on a theme. Lentils cook well sous vide because there is not the same risk of them suddenly turning to mush when you blink.

You might experiment with polenta as a base for your jars, as I know that oatmeal works quite well in them.

Dunno if this qualifies for your request, but I “cold brew” coffee in mason jars.

Thanks, that sounds good.

I quite often make chicken liver paté in mason jars:

Love that!! could do several 4 oz jars & they would be great for our usual small dinner group of 3-5 people. Also makes me wonder if my mushroom pate recipe could be adapted for sous vide?!?!? Thanks much!!

This recipe at 176F for 1 hour is phenomenal. I also add about 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder to enhance the coffee flavor. I use 6oz jars and fill with about 4 oz of the mixture. I don’t even brulee the top. just chill and eat like it is. the texture is smooth and creamy and the taste is very adult–not too sweet.

1 Like

Small jars are great for making herb infused oils… if you have some nice bread, great for dipping.

I have made many different ones by heating the herbs in the oils, sealed in jars “cooked” Sous Vide for 3 hours at 85°C, depending on the strength they might need a little more unflavoured oil to reduce their intensity.

Thanks! That’s a really good idea. I love infused oils.

I tend to use sub 80C for mine because I don’t want to cook the herbs or the oil, just speed the process up a bit. I tend to leave them a minimum of 4 hours.

Thanks again, I am making a recipe that calls for hot honey for dinner tonite. When I went to buy it, hot honey is 1 an ounce compared to straight honey being about .30 an ounce. So to Pinterest I go to see how to make it. Basically you infuse honey with whatever hot peppers you want, they can be fresh, jarred, hot sauce, powdered. But they all say to keep it on the stove for an hour plus, and it cannot boil, but has to be at the barest simmer for that whole time. My stove doesn’t hold that close& I certainly am not going to babysit honey for that long. So I figure just like infusing oil, I can infuse honey In the sousvide. Since I could not wait for my groceries to be delivered & then make the honey to use tonite, I went & raided the pantry. I did have a nice jar of organic raw honey, & I had extra hot Calabrian Chiles that are diced & in a little oil & I had hot peppadew peppers. I put a spoonful of the Calabrian Chiles in a 4 oz jar, filled with honey & stirred. I pulled out 3 peppadews, drained & cut into quarters. Put those in a jar, filled with honey & stirred. Capped the jars, tossed them in the sous vide & set for 3 hours. Since none of the recipes I read referenced a temp, I split the 80c & 85c difference recommended for oils & did 180f, which is about 82.3c. Can’t wait to taste. I have more honey & some Serrano chiles being delivered later, so we will try the honey using fresh another day. Likely will do oil with the serrano too.

1 Like

@Lara

Let us know how that goes, sounds very interesting and delicious!!!

Will give it a try if you say it works out well

Worked great!! The one with the Calabrian chiles was quite strong, so I cut it with some plain honey once done, to get the flavor I wanted. I used it to make Sunny Anderson’s, salmon poke. It’s just salmon seasoned with everything bagel season & drizzles with hot honey & baked. Super easy & tasty. The one with the peppadew was different, because they are pickled the vinegar & honey just sort of cancel each other out, not as sweet as you would expect honey to be, but it’s not a bad flavor. Have not tried with the fresh peppers yet.

1 Like

Nice! Thank @Lara will give it a go